• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gardening ..again

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These came from a local nursery which came from the LSU agriculture, I believe but not sure. I put them in ground on March 12.
That's the route I used to take, I'd buy transplants from the nursery.This year all my tomatoes are from seed that I planted in late January.Ground must have been cold. Things are slow.

I have some from seed that I'm waiting on to get a little bigger.

Attachments

• 20240324_091954.jpg
    20240324_091954.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I’m home through Easter so we decided to go ahead and plant. My Wife and I went to our local nursery and bought 5 more bags of the LSU raised bed soil, 11 tomato plants, Better Boys and Big Boys, 3 red bell peppers, 3 sweet banana peppers, 1 sweet basil, and several packs of straight neck yellow squash. Planted 8 hills of squash, the partial pack and the other 2 were added to our seed collection in the freezer. Have a nice little patch of volunteer tomatoes and 2 squash plants that have sprouted from where most of the compost was spread. I wouldn’t chance planting now further north at the camp, but we should be safe down here.

Attachments

• IMG_3497.jpeg
    IMG_3497.jpeg
    6.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3498.jpeg
    IMG_3498.jpeg
    6.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3499.jpeg
    IMG_3499.jpeg
I envy you getting to "play in the dirt". There really isn't much to do until I plant the Okra seed (soon). Except for the weeding and that isn't much fun.Those little showers we had lately sure sprouted the weeds.

You mentioned volunteer tomatos and squash. Those tomatos can surprise you sometimes (flavorwise).But that works 2 ways, sometimes they can taste awful. It depends if last year's parent plant was a hybrid or a heirloom. Are straightneck squash heirloom or hybrid?

You mentioned volunteer tomatos and squash. Those tomatos can surprise you sometimes (flavorwise).But that works 2 ways, sometimes they can taste awful. It depends if last year's parent plant was a hybrid or a heirloom. Are straightneck squash heirloom or hybrid?
Agree, roll of the dice on the tomatoes and no telling what variety the little squash plants are. Could be yellow, acorn, or butternut. The squash seeds I planted are hybrids.

Also, after Easter, I'm going to increase the size of the raised bed by turning the "L" shape into a "U" shape. I'll plant something high yield like more yellow squash or Zucchini. At the camp I won't plant much this year, probably just pole beans and okra. Oh, and need to plant some onions too.

Afraid to plant more than one zucchini. Wind up leaving them on peoples' door steps in the middle of the night.
Tomatoes do well here but basil struggles. Wind up buying it. Go figure. Other than rosemary most herbs struggle here. Can not imagine why.
I'm the same way with Eggplant. Gorgeous plant and easy to grow but sometimes it's a task trying to give them away.Funny how some "neighbors" want veggies picked, cleaned, and hand delivered.

I only have 10 tomato plants this year and if you recall last year was pitiful and there wasn't too much "sharing the bounty". I hope they produce enough tomatos for me to give the new pastor. (And maybe show off a little). He's from a big city in Indiana and learning how things are done down here.We are very "rural".

Afraid to plant more than one zucchini. Wind up leaving them on peoples' door steps in the middle of the night.
Tomatoes do well here but basil struggles. Wind up buying it. Go figure. Other than rosemary most herbs struggle here. Can not imagine why.
My wife does a separate box garden for herbs. Basil, rosemary, and cilantro, can't remember if there are any others. She grows mint and it gets out of control pretty quick.

I had to mow the back yard today. The neighbor mowed his two days ago and said it was pretty tough going, so I decided i had better get to it. Then I looked at the raised beds and the weeds starting up so got the hoe out and worked them over. Finally I still had some lawn seed left over from last year so seeded the bare spots in the grass. Thinking that the birds get fed at two feeders, if they see the grass seed they'll think a smorgasbord has been opened for them, so I spread straw from last year's archery target over it. Now my aching is aching!

Finished the addition to the raised bed and planted 5 hills of Zucchini seeds. Hopefully we’ll have an over abundance, we have a big freezer here and one at the camp that have some room to spare. We use vacuum sealers after blanching and they last a good while. I put some pine straw down in the middle walkway. I’ll eventually border it all with pine straw and maybe add a layer of cypress mulch. But I ran out of steam for the day.

Attachments

• IMG_3504.jpeg
    IMG_3504.jpeg
    6.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3505.jpeg
    IMG_3505.jpeg
Back