• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gardening ..again

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Victory gardens or even community gardens are a great concept. The only flaw with that idea is the lazy neighbors who won't lift a finger in the working of a garden. And there is work involved. But they sure don't mind "raiding".

Victory gardens or even community gardens are a great concept. The only flaw with that idea is the lazy neighbors who won't lift a finger in the working of a garden. And there is work involved. But they sure don't mind "raiding".
Ain't that the truth.

image000000.jpeg
IMG_5302.jpeg
On Saturday we’re doing an agriculture-themed event at the museum. My last director decided I was going to do this, scheduled it for last weekend, and retired. I was able to get it rescheduled- Friday will be our last frost date. Two weeks ago, we had our annual Military Through the Ages event, and this field had a civil war camp complete with howitzer AND a battery of the Virginia Army National Guard complete with their howitzer both camped on top of it. So to make it easier for the visitors who will be ploughing with me, I came in early this morning to till it. Pretty day for the work…
Jay

I got about 60 Okra seeds soaking for planting tomorrow. I was watching a video and it said to soak them in a 20% solution of Hydrogen Peroxide/ Water.I always just used warm water but this is supposed to speed up the process. Any one ever tried it?

I got about 60 Okra seeds soaking for planting tomorrow. I was watching a video and it said to soak them in a 20% solution of Hydrogen Peroxide/ Water.I always just used warm water but this is supposed to speed up the process. Any one ever tried it?
No. Very interesting though. Would be curious of the results.

It said to soak the seeds for 24 hours. I always figured overnight was long enough. What will 24 hours do that 12 won't?

First trip to "our" Amish greenhouse on Thursday. Wood heat & personal attention. Plus, prices are about 1/3 of Wally World and acclimated to our garden. Seeds are hand packed and instead of tiny amounts, you get at least a handfull. When you ask a question, the answer comes from the very person who plants, nurtures, etc. from start to finish. They care about what they produce and their reputation because it's their livelihood. check it out.

First trip to "our" Amish greenhouse on Thursday. Wood heat & personal attention. Plus, prices are about 1/3 of Wally World and acclimated to our garden. Seeds are hand packed and instead of tiny amounts, you get at least a handfull. When you ask a question, the answer comes from the very person who plants, nurtures, etc. from start to finish. They care about what they produce and their reputation because it's their livelihood. check it out.
Some years ago the Amish were selling a variety of tomato called Mountain Stream.It was a very good tomato and I wish to add this to my "Heirloom Seed Collection". Now I can't locate the seeds. I may have to go visit the local Amish community (we have one in this county) and get the seeds directly from them.

Well I got 2 rows of Okra in today. Short rows, maybe 30 footers. But if this variety of Okra (Louisiana Green Velvet) is as good as they say that should suffice. We'll see. I am just about through planting. I do want to put in 3-4 more squash, I dont think 6 will be enought. But there is still work to be done. This next month is going to take alot of work, weeding and watering.

Acid? My wife says "Mortgage Lifter" tomatos (Heirloom) are too "acidy". From what I have read they are one of the least in acid content and a real nice size tomato.Anyone got a comment?
There are plants, evergreens for example, that like soil on the acid end of the ph spectrum. The acidity releases soil nutrients which would otherwise be unavailable.
Tomatoes like mildly acidic soil. If it gets too acid the plant will get excessive nutrients and run to lush foliage but no fruit.

This is the rural, South end of Lancaster county. Lots of Amish properties and many of them will run a greenhouse to provide a steadier cash income. I agree wholeheartedly with your observations. I would add that their belief system has a lot to do with it. The unethical Amish man will wind up shunned by his community.

I used to have pretty good luck with Clemson Spineless but the last few years have not been what you'd call "great" or even average. And for some reason it's been less than 4' tall. More nitrogen, maybe?
I have saved my seed for more than 5 years and have never soaked it before planting. I mulch with wood chips and sawdust from the shop and water with a soaker hose as needed. A 50’ row will fill a Walmart bag every two days. My wife fusses about me continuing picking but I don’t have the heart to cut it down before frost.

I have saved my seed for more than 5 years and have never soaked it before planting. I mulch with wood chips and sawdust from the shop and water with a soaker hose as needed. A 50’ row will fill a Walmart bag every two days. My wife fusses about me continuing picking but I don’t have the heart to cut it down before frost.
I do most of my mulching with fallen leaves (Hackberry +Oak). They not only cut down on weeds but also add to the soil's nutrients at crops end when they are tilled under. Do you have any trouble with ants in the Okra? They don't seem to be doing any damage but are a nuisance.

I think Oak leaves add a little (very little) acidity to the soil.Not that I really need it. My soil has a 6.9-7.0 PH reading but I understand some tomatoes prefer the soil to be just a little on the acid side.

Some years I have a little trouble with ants but they are never a major pest here. When I do I have used citrus peel run thru a blender, diluted and with a few drops of Dawn. Filter it well spray it on the infested plants. I use it for aphids too.

I was told the same about fresh sawdust from the mill. I used it for years, about 2” deep between rows to keep weeds down and improve a poor soil. At that time I was totally organic using primarily chicken litter and wood ashes for the bulk of my fertilizers.

Again , I thought I was through planting but I stopped by the nursery and bought 3 more straight necked squash plants. I felt that my 6 plants just weren't enough. I bought a 6 pack and told the guy at the nursery to give the other 3 to the next guy who buys squash.I already have them in the ground but now I'm really out of space.I just hope I didn't "crowd" the already existing squash. They do like their space.

Back