• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gardening ..again

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have heard to use a wire mesh on the bottom of your raised bed to keep mice and moles from eating your plants. Never tried it myself, always forget the wire when building a box.
Don't know that the buried wire would be very long lived. Maybe a cat or two would be better. There are raptors here and I watched a hawk chase a mouse on foot between the raised beds. Yes he did get it.

Sometimes the good guys win 🤣
Happened to be looking out my window last September and saw a pretty good size hawk in my "redneck birdbath". Its actually the lid off of an Igloo cooler but the birds like it.Heck why not?, it is for birds.

Attachments

• 20231108_135446.jpg
    20231108_135446.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Has anyone had any luck with those plastic owls that you put out to discourage varmints. Like a scarecrow, I guess. I realize it must be moved around but even then it doesn't seem to scare anything. They make good Halloween decorations.
Useless. Have seen tweety birds sit on the owl's head.

On the other hand, a barn cat ran away from a toy stuffed dog. Go figure.

Luckily I didn't have to spend a dime on the three I have, they were given to me I even have the deluxe model that has the "spinning" head. Right, useless.
I bought mine for crow hunting. That and a recording of a owl fighting with crows would bring in near by crows. Only time that owl Halloween decoration worked for anything.

We use one mostly because my wife's dad gifted it to her years ago. Kind of a tradition to put it out there now.

I had one up in a huge oak tree. My young great niece was scared to walk under it, so I guess kind of work at least once.Just not on varmints!

Has anyone had any luck with those plastic owls that you put out to discourage varmints. Like a scarecrow, I guess. I realize it must be moved around but even then it doesn't seem to scare anything. They make good Halloween decorations.

Never had any success using plastic Owls.

We have more Kestrels than Hawks around our neck of the woods but they do not give us any trouble but I have watched a rooster whip a Hawks arse on two occasions.

It is the Coyotes that keep me busy. We lost 7 roosters last year to those devils.

These came from a local nursery which came from the LSU agriculture, I believe but not sure. I put them in ground on March 12.
You guys are lucky. Was 26 degrees overnight here last night. I haven't even tilled yet.

Latest posts

Back