• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

G.P.R.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure you'll get a ton of replies. For my part, I have a .54 caliber flintlock GPR. Bought it second hand from another forum member awhile back. Haven't had an opportunity to fire it much, but am mighty favorably impressed by the limited shooting I have done with it. No misfires, no hangfires. Ignition always seemed instantaneous. Don't have my load information in front of me, but do have a target in my shop with two holes touching fired from a rest at 75-80 paces. Shots hit about 2 1/2 inches below and 2 inches to the right of my point of aim. You'll get nothing but praise from me for Lyman's truly "Great" Plains Rifle.

Cleburne

The Lyman GPR is a very good rifle, made for shooting patched roundballs.

It is also a fairly good representation of the Plains Rifles used in the mid 1800's in the Mountains and on the plains.

The guns only faults (IMO) is the rear set trigger is quite hard to pull to cock the triggers and the adjustable rear sight leaves a bit to wish for.

The front sight blade is intentionally left tall by the factory so a new gun must be sighted in by shooting it and filing off some of the top of the front sight.

I figure that of our 20,000+ members here, at least half of them own one of these guns. :hmm:

Mike , I have one in 54 Cal. Its a very good shooter. As folks on here will tell you it takes a while to get the barrel "shot in"but after that they really shoot good. I shoot 80 gr 3f under PRB

Wayne/Al

I have 3 percussion and 1 flint and love them. The first thing I did with all of them is replace the sights using a semi-buckhorn rear (without the massive groove of the factory sight) and a thinner front sight blade. IMO this really improves their accuracy.

I have a GPR in 54 cal and percussion ignition. It is a very good rifle that shoots better than I can. Only thing I would like is bolts thru the wrist from the tang to the trigger assembly.Kinda like the Hawken rifles were. I hope to do this during the winter. Very accurate with real black powder. I shoot 70 gr 2f for plinking and 110 gr of 2f for hunting. Oh by the way mine is left handed. FRJ

Great rifle.
Mine is a 50 Cal. Shoot 80 Gr. of 3F in mine.
Probably be the last rifle if I started selling off my guns.
Make smoke...hides your mistakes.
Vearl

I have three of these (2 are .54s, and one is a .50), all in flint, but am looking for a .54 in percussion also. They're great shooting and handling rifles. Won't pass muster with the PC/HC nazis, but I'm not one and dont hang out with any so it doesn't cause me any grief.

The Lyman GPR is probably the best buy available today.
It is a good rifle as it comes but it can be made into a really good or great rifle easily.
I did not experience the poor shooting barrel(s) so many complain about here. My flint and/or the cap lock shot well right from the box.
Now for the issues:

On the flintlock model the lock is not very good. It works but not what I consider good. The touch hole needs drilling to 5/64th inch.

The cap lock is OK as is. The nipple is trash. Get an after market one.

It is better looking, if not improved shootability, with the installation of the provided primitive rear sight. And a additional cost silver blade front sight.

Now for the trigger, just get a Davis Deerslayer and be done with it.

Fit and finish is poor to OK. You may want to get the kit version and you can improve both if you are a little knowledgable in wood working.

The barrel is the best thing about one. Oh, BTW, get 54 cal.
Like I said you can make a good start into a really nice rifle.

Just to keep you folks from getting frustrated, our search engine on the forum does not accept words that have 3 letters or less.

If you put GPR into it, it will give you a "There was a problem loading this page: ..." statement.

Probably be better if it said something like, "I can't see tiny words with only three letters in them."

And now folks, back to the show. :)

Big Mike,

I have a GPH in .50 and a GPR in .54, both great rifles as you have read in the previous posts.

Did you have a specific questions?

Back