• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Furniture metals & barrel finishes?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjmillig

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Let's say 1740s-1770s, which furniture metal was more commonly used on civilian smoothbores, such as an English fowler or fusil de chasse? Also, were most new barrels in the white and left to naturally rust/brown, or browned by the builder, or blued?
I've been shooting a long time, but have never purchased a period correct gun, always shooting my inexpensive, but fun, Hawken style rifle with blonde wood, brass furniture, and blued barrel.

Who, what when( you give a broad date range), where is important but a fairly nice English fowling piece for export to the Americas would be brass mounted in cast brass parts, lock case hardened and bright, barrel temper blued. The temper blue, while beautiful, would quickly wear.

I guess I did leave that wide open. I'm thinking a common man's smoothbore, perhaps an English fowler of approx 20 gauge. Persona of a 1st generation American from Irish immigrants moving his family progressively south. I like the looks of an iron finished gun with a browned barrel, but if brass furniture and blued barrel was far more common, than so be it. Would a barrel eventually take on a naturally browned finish with time?

I was thinking that much could be decided by the of the buyers pockets! Geo. T.

kjmillig said:
......Would a barrel eventually take on a naturally browned finish with time?

Yes, but probably not during a single generation or while the gun was being cared for during its working life.

A gun, of no matter what sort, was a big investment in the 18th century....likely the most expensive single purchase a man made during his lifetime. He likely would care for it as best he could, inside and out.

Now, many guns built in Colonial America had their barrels browned according to period documents, but it is "assumed" by many that the brown we see on many guns that have survived was aquired over many, many years and likely after the guns "working life" was over. Homes weren't climate controlled until recently and even then many of these guns were relegated to storage in older homes, attics, basements and out buildings, where humidity and temperature swings are the norm.

The choice is ultimately up to you and those you are portraying your character with you as to what is exceptable. But, as an aside, I and many often chuckle at those who are recreating history with guns and other equipage that looks is if they are 200 years old already.

Good luck with your decision. Enjoy, J.D.

Back