• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock Snobbery

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toot, i know one of the owners father. I’m not much of a beer drinker so i gave it a try...it was free.

When i drink it’s Bourbon or 98% of the time 120-140 proof straight from the copper still good ole Mt. Dew!

Yewbender.....up here in Tamworth NH...there is a distillery that makes a Beaver Castor flavored Burbon....it’s real good !

Attachments

• 6EF219FD-4213-4658-B0F0-F4247353BE11.jpeg
    6EF219FD-4213-4658-B0F0-F4247353BE11.jpeg
    159.9 KB · Views: 93
Nessmuck, the beer can pictured is Love City Brewery. They are in Philadelphia, Pa....so i’m from Pa.

That Bourbon looks good! My goto’s are Woodford Reserve Double Oaked, THE CRAZY CHICKEN aka....Wild Turkey Rear Breed, Knob Creek, and Knob Creek Single Barrel. I got another favorite a Vanilla Whiskey...no name and good luck finding it in stores...😉

Nessmuck, the beer can pictured is Love City Brewery. They are in Philadelphia, Pa....so i’m from Pa.

That Bourbon looks good! My goto’s are Woodford Reserve Double Oaked, THE CRAZY CHICKEN aka....Wild Turkey Rear Breed, Knob Creek, and Knob Creek Single Barrel. I got another favorite a Vanilla Whiskey...no name and good luck finding it in stores...😉

Iam a Scotch snob at heart. But when I do drink Burbon..I like the Woodford ..behind the Eau de Musc
26654830-E1D8-4E63-B98B-26103AA71A55.jpeg

Yewbender...I lived in Philly when I was in the 4th grade. Went to the Bregy school (sp) And remember the Walt Whitman bridge ...lol

Tried Scotch many ah times and don’t like.

So you live in Philly for a short time, be glad you moved out! You couldn’t pay me to live there! I will say though, there are plenty of nice areas, with things to do and some dam good food but the rest of the city is a dump.

Defense guns are tools. Kitchen knifes are tools, chainsaws are tools. Real guns, camp knifes, trade axes are friends, comforters, trusted companions.
There just wood and iron???? Same stuff people are made of.... and often more sincere.
A warrior will use whatever tool is available to deal with the situation. His best weapon is that stuff between his ears, if it's been trained right,

Dear David. I wrote' Less can be more' nothing Orwellian about that . Flint locks do have' hammers' but today people call them' frizzens ' If I was thinking more of pin & central fires . My battery includes some percussion guns . most are earlier & true of my production since when I started percussion was available If flint locks less so . Must confess I do like my matchlocks appeals to my Yorkshire thrift .
Regards Rudyard
Yorkshire? Dang it Rudyard, I knew ye was kin! That's where the Briggs clan came from, besides Scandinavia.

I’ll shoot anything that goes “bang.”

However, there is one side to flintlock shooting; frugality.

The average price for a tin of 100 percussion caps is about $8.00. Without anything else that’s about 8 cents per shot.

I usually average about 50 shots per flint. Last year I found the best bargain for flints was from Jedediah Starr. IIRC the 3/4” flints were about $1.99 each. I ordered 100 of them. With shipping that set me back about $220.

Do the math and that comes out to about 4.4 cents per shot.

View attachment 28940
Well, the last caps I bought were at a new store that had mis-marked boxes of 1000 as boxes of 100...gotta love those skew scanners, lol. I picked up 3000 RWS caps for about $.01 each, so my need of a flintlock isn't driven by frugality. I can't deny the coolness factor of a rock lock though.

Love the Jack Benny reference by the way. In truth, his stinginess was simply a stage personna. In reality, he was one of the most generous people in Hollywood. Funny how an act can become identified as the person. A always enjoyed both his radio show when I was quite young and later on his television show. I had even more respect for him after watching an interview with Bob Hope who quickly set the record straight when asked about Jack's alleged cheapness.

Well, the last caps I bought were at a new store that had mis-marked boxes of 1000 as boxes of 100...gotta love those skew scanners, lol. I picked up 3000 RWS caps for about $.01 each, so my need of a flintlock isn't driven by frugality. I can't deny the coolness factor of a rock lock though.

Love the Jack Benny reference by the way. In truth, his stinginess was simply a stage personna. In reality, he was one of the most generous people in Hollywood. Funny how an act can become identified as the person. A always enjoyed both his radio show when I was quite young and later on his television show. I had even more respect for him after watching an interview with Bob Hope who quickly set the record straight when asked about Jack's alleged cheapness.
Yeah, I still remember, "Your money or your life! -------Well?!?" "I'm thinking, I'm thinking." 😅

Last edited:
Yorkshire? Dang it Rudyard, I knew ye was kin! That's where the Briggs clan came from, besides Scandinavia.
Warning: thread drift ahead.

I just had one of those DNA tests done, that profess to tell you where your ancestors lived. The results said 99% British Isles... in spite of the fact that I have blood relatives still living on the Rez. :doh:

She makes some of the same mistakes and assumptions that many newbies make but she looks a heck of a lot better with a flintlock and leather vest than anyone else on this forum.

It’s also nice to see a young lady like her take an interest in black powder.

@Enfield58 that’s not fair, you haven’t seen me in my Last of the Mohicans loin cloth.

As to snobbery, I have a friend that killed a wild turkey with his bare hands and that means you are all a bunch of incompetent, tool-using modernists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back