• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flint holder question.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PitchyPine

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Just got my new Cabela`s blue ridge rifle, it came with a piece of lead that holds the flint in the jaws. Is that a good system or is leather a better way to go.
Thanks and plan on posting a pic. as soon as i can get out and take a few shots. :)

:bow: The lead is just fine---only problem is, it is soft---so if you find you cannot tighten the jaws any further to kee the flint in place---use the piece of lead as a pattern and make a few out of thin strips of leather. :thumbsup:

My peronal preference is leather...it's 'spongy' and compressable, then grips the flint with a degree of tension, it's traditional, etc, etc

Thanks for the replies, the lead one seems to be holding for now. Well the first shooting went good and bad, it took a half a doozen pans to get the gun to go off. The good news is i hit the center of the box dead center at twenty yards, second shot low left and third right beside the first.
Had a lot of problems getting it to fire, pan flashed every time, i`m using Pyrodex in the barrel and four F black powder in the pan.
I can tap the gun on the side with the palm of my hand and get a few grains of powder to come out the flash hole. I`m thinking it`s the Pyrodex that`s the problem, any and all suggestions are welcome. I`ll be getting together with a friend thats been at this for years latter this week, he has some Goex i`ll try.
Oh ya, gun is a 50 cal. and i`m using a round ball.
firstthreeshots.jpg

rifleandfirsttarget.jpg

You will continue to have ignition problems with Pyrodex. It is not meant to be used in a flintlock. Get some 3f Goex for the barrel.

Rebel has it right. Pyrodex has a higher ignition point than real black powder. Found out the hard way when I picked the wrong powder horn to use with my smooth bore flinter. Don't even have any Pyrodex around any more. I have a Blue Ridge flinter and it works and shots well. Just practice, and you will shot well with it.

Thanks, thats what i thought was the problem, don`t know why i bought the Pyrodex in the first place. That friend of mine has a lot of FFF Goex so i`ll get some and try that. It will be a couple days because we are supossed to get a snow rain mix for a couple days.
Have another question, the flint doesn`t scrape down the whole width of the frizzen the hammer and flint are in closer to the gun than the frizzen. Is that normal or do i off set the flint in the jaws?
Please excuse my ignorance and miss use and spelling of the proper terms.
Appreciate the help.

PitchyPine said:
Thanks, thats what i thought was the problem, don`t know why i bought the Pyrodex in the first place. That friend of mine has a lot of FFF Goex so i`ll get some and try that. It will be a couple days because we are supossed to get a snow rain mix for a couple days.
Have another question, the flint doesn`t scrape down the whole width of the frizzen the hammer and flint are in closer to the gun than the frizzen. Is that normal or do i off set the flint in the jaws?
Appreciate the help.
If you'll always align the inside edge of the flint with the inside edge of the frizzen, it won't hit the barrel, and if a little excess sticks out to the outside it won't matter;

Also, you can use up the Pyrodex for target practice at the range...pour 20grns Goex downbore first, then 30 (or 40, etc) grns of Pyrodex...the Goex takes care of the ignition in the flinter, and you get to use up the Pyrodex without frustration...works perfectly, is consistent and accurate.

roundball said:
PitchyPine said:
Appreciate the help.
If you'll always align the inside edge of the flint with the inside edge of the frizzen, it won't hit the barrel, and if a little excess sticks out to the outside it won't matter;

Also, you can use up the Pyrodex for target practice at the range...pour 20grns Goex downbore first, then 30 (or 40, etc) grns of Pyrodex...the Goex takes care of the ignition in the flinter, and you get to use up the Pyrodex without frustration...works perfectly, is consistent and accurate.

I would have to off set the flint quite a ways and i don`t think i could off set it enough to reach the out side edge. I`ll post a pic of the set-up in a few minutes.

I`m sure i`m doing something wrong, see how the flint is way over too the left and i allready have it off set to the right quite a bit.

flintandfrizzen.jpg

I could get it over to the right by turning the flint but then the flint face doesn`t square up to the frizzen.

If you remove the flint, and stand squarely behind the hammer, and look at it's alignment...is it tilted in towards the barrel some or is that just the way it appears to me in the photo?

Hard to get a good pic, the flint screw is off to the left of center. The hammer doesn`t seem to be bent, is there a way to check by removing it and laying on a flat surface. This is a bummer after paying 500 for a new gun. :(

MVC-021S.jpg

MVC-022S.jpg

If you bought it new from Cabelas call them and see about sending it back for replacement. They are very good about that. It looks to me like the hammer is twisted to the left. If so, you could probably have it bent back over to where it lines up with the frizzen right, or just return it and wait for them to send youa new one.

There appears to be something wrong, i lay a straight edge across the flat on the hammer where the flint goes and it seems parrell to the top of the barrel. The hammer is too far in or there is something wrong with the frizzen. Unless someone here knows what`s wrong i`m going to call Cabela`s tomorrow and see about sending it back. :(

Well, it looked tilted in to me but it's always hard to tell for sure in a flat photo...I know sending it back is disappointing & frustrating but it's probably best...if you start trying to tinker with it yourself, and break something, you might void the warranty altogether.

I`m pretty mechanical and the hammer looks square to me, the frizzen looks a little crooked if anything. It`s way out of line that`s for sure and i shouldn`t have to be messing with a new gun that much. It has a run in the finish also i`m not happy with, going to call Cabela`s in the morn.
Thanks guys and i will keep ya posted.

Pitchypine. YOu are going to get opinions all over the map about which is better to wrap a flint in. In an empty gun, in a dark room, wrap the flint in lead, tighten the cock screw, fire the gun a few times to seat the flint in the lead, then tighten the flint again. Then hold the gun so you can look at the pan from th eside, and fire the gun. Look at the amount of sparks, and the color. Look at what they do when they hit the pan. Look where they hit the pan.

Then take the flint out of the cock, and wrap it in leather. Use whatever somebody tells you is the best. Rawhide, tanned hide, brain tanned, chemical tanned, thick, thin, whatever. seat the flint as you did with the lead lap by firing it the same number of times, and tightening the cockscrew down again. In the dark, fire the gun held out again so you can look at the frizzen and pan again from the side. Check the number of sparks, and color. How long do the sparks last before burning out? Where do they hit the pan?

Then make up your own decision. My personal experience, and that of several of the members here who have tried their own test as I have described indicates that most get better sparks( more of them for each strike, and they are hotter sparks with lead, than with leather. The sparks with the leather wrap are orange in color, usually less than a dozen, and they burn out after bouncing once in the pan. With the lead wrap, the sparks are too many to count- a shower- they are white hot, and they bounce at least twice in the pan before burning out.

The second benefit of using lead is that it does not allow the flint to rebound off the frizzen, causing chatter marks or grooves in the face of the frizzen, that will eat flints, and cause misfires in the future. That rebound is the same as having a shock absorber behind the flint, and allows the flint to first cut into the surface of the flint, but before it can begin to scrape off bits of steel to become sparks, it rebounds, and takes some of those chips with it, clogging the edge. In about five shots, you will begin having misfires, unless you knapp a new edge. Knapping destroys too much of the edge, and shortens flint life dramatically. Flints are expensive.

If your flint strikes the face of the frizzen at between 55 and 60 degrees, measured along the bottom of the flint, and the face of the frizzen, the flint, wrapped in lead, will knapp itself on each firing, and there will be no misfires from clogged edges, and no need to haul out that knapping hammer, or knife, or whatever someone tells you to use. I will send you my old one if you really want it. I don't use it any more, and haven't in more than 20 years. flint life is much longer, and getting 80 to 150 shots per flint is not impossible, depending on how strong your main and frizzen springs are. They can be lightened to increase flint life, too.

You might benefit from reading my article on tuning flintlocks.
[url] www.chuckhawks.com/flintlocks.htm[/url]

Have fun, and welcome to the world of flintlocks. Trade that substitute powder and buy some Goex Black powder. Only Black Powder will work in Flintlocks. One man here has a large quantity of subs which he is burning up, by using a starter load of black powder in his flint lock. Takes a little longer to load, but you can burn up that stuff if you can't find someone to buy the rest of what you have. BP is much cheaper than the subs are, and less corrosive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back