• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flash-hole removal ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squirejohn

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I need to remove & replace a flash-hole liner and assume it should be drilled out and removed with an "easyout". Any recommendations as to what size drill and easyout would be best? TOW sells ampco and stainless flash hole liners. What is ampco? Any added benefit of ampco over stainless or visa versa?

I don't know what size of easy out I use, but bigger is better.
I wouldn't use any liner except Chambers White lightnin' liners. thay are the fastest and most reliable out there.

Ampco liners look like brass but are bryillum which is very heat resistant. They generally last longer than stainless steel. I use the ampco liners and am very satisified with them. I've never tried the white lightening liners as they are larger in diam and would require me to drill out and rethread my barrel and my current setup is as fast as any I've ever seen including the white lightening. Only drill out the current liner large enough to get a small easyout in. If you use the square easy out, the smallest size is ok. If you use the round easy out use the next bigger size. Per my experience. :results:

Othern

Mike, OTHERN Thanks for the response. I do have Chamber's York rifle with his White Lightning liner, and Mike your right - it's "wicked" fast. Unfortunately my tool skills are pretty much limited to a large hammer and pry bar so I'll forgo trying to drill out and rethread for a Chamber's vent. The rifle in which I intend to replace the liner is also quite fast, however it leaks too much (drilled out to 5/64) which sometimes results in a "squib" load. A quill plug solves this problem during loading however it's too time consuming for biathlon events, hence the need for a new vent liner. If 1/16" doesn't work well I'll probably drill it out with a number drill- probably either a 50 or 51.

Do they really use beryllium? That stuff is something to be handled with respect. Toxic, and the symptoms don't show up for years. If you machine anything that might be a beryllium alloy, be very careful not to breath any of it.

http://www.beryllium-net.org/?GAW

Theres no doubt of the toxic nature of the substance.Some years back,a company mined Beryillium in West Texas.They of corse had slag piles that covered a large area.This was a good sized operation.The case was still in the Courts a few years ago,don't know if the case was ever settled,so won't go into names involved Etc.The mineing operation was on a 128.000 ac. ranch.cattle were being run on the ranch.Anyway cattle came in contact with the slag area and about 750 died.A lawsuit was brought against the Co.The owners shut down the operation and disolved the Co.Thats how toxic it can be.I doubt that working on a vent made from it would be any more dangerous than casting lead balls ,but do watch the dust from drilling,grinding Etc. :peace:

Back