• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First day of squirrel season !!!!!!!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silent sniper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
well here is kill picture. I got 4 squirrels with my double barrel 14 gauge muzzleloader. I was using 70 grains of 2F then an O/P wad,hornets nest for wadding,80 grains of #6 shot, and then 2 O/S wads. The red squirrels were at 15 and 30 yards, and the fox squirrels at 25,and the fox squirrel to the very left was shot on the run as it ran thru the trees at 20 yards. I had to use both barrels to get it out of the trees and Then I had to finish it with my knife. I absoulty love hunting with my double and this is the first time I have gone squirrel hunting with it. The only other thing I have killed with this gun was my first deer last year.
DSCF0267.jpg

DSCF0268.jpg

DSCF0269.jpg

DSCF0270.jpg

DSCF0271.jpg

DSCF0272.jpg

The squirrels look deader than Julius Caesar, lets see more closeups of the gun.

Thanks for taking the time to share the hunt and photo's.

PJC

Here is a couple more pictures of my gun. it is a 200+ year old original 14 gauge double. I dont know who made this gun. I got it 2 years ago for my birthday when I turned 12. it has a damaskas barrel
DSCF0276.jpg

DSCF0278.jpg

DSCF0279.jpg

DSCF0281.jpg

DSCF0283.jpg

DSCF0284.jpg

DSCF0286.jpg

WOW, I dont think id be shooting that gun. Pretty darn cool old gun for sure.Might be worth a ton of money ???

That's a cool shotgun sniper. :thumbsup:
Good goin' on the squirrels. :hatsoff: I gotta get out after some real soon.
I never saw red and fox squirrels together at the same time before. Didn't realize the size difference was that big. :shocked2: Mostly all we have around here are fox squirrels with a few pockets of grays.

It looks like you have a neat old shotgun there, I think your estimate of 200 years plus is a bit on the extreme side, I would guess your gun to be vintage 1850's.

jethro224 said:
That's a cool shotgun sniper. :thumbsup:
I never saw red and fox squirrels together at the same time before. Didn't realize the size difference was that big.Mostly all we have around here are fox squirrels with a few pockets of grays.
jethro,
Vise-versa here....I don't think I have
ever seen a fox(very aggresive) and gray on the
same day of hunting.In some 50+ years of hunting
squirrel I have always found fox will challenge
you in their woods.Where a gray don't want you to know they are even there.
sniper,
Don't make much difference if the gun
is 200 years old or 20 if you like using it,
use it. Having said that,I would like to see you get it appraised.
Great to see you addicted to B/P,it
is better than most alternatives.
snake-eyes :hmm:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jethro and Snake-eyes...Here in my area of Southern Illinois, I usually take both fox and gray squirrels out of the same woods. It's very rare to only see one or the other. Fox squirrels are by far easier to take, often continuing to cut nuts as their buddies drop dead from the tree. Grays, on the other hand, make like a fire drill on the first shot, sometimes bailing out from 20 feet up all the way to the ground! I've taken many fox squirrels that have left their tail hanging over a limb while attempting to hide, giving away their location. I can't ever remember a gray squirrel doing that. I just got my .25 flintlock a couple of days ago and worked out an accurate load (25 grains Swiss 3F, .240 roundball, .006 compressed cotton drill patch, and Lehigh Valley Lube)for cloverleaf accuracy at 20 yards. Like with my .29 and .30 calibers, I'm sure only head shots will do or I'll loose meat. Tom

Hello from Germany!

A nice shotgun and some nice squirrels. Waidmann's Heil! as we say in Germany.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Back