• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Firing shot in a rifled barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Was thinking of giving it a try.
Powder, wad, shot, wad. Any problems?
40 grains of powder and 100 grains of shot.
Got 3 or 4 batches measured out to try.
Don't expect any accuracy to speak of but thought it might be worth a try. Might hit paper out to 25 yards? Maybe a 10 foot patern? :grin:
(I'am glad I'am not close enough to any of you to get smacked on the forhead for asking dumb questions) :rotf:

You could bore it out . Or if you want they sell smootbores. Dilly

topic has been covered by another poster but I'm interested in seeing what sort of pattern you come up with. seems as if a slow twist rifle it should do OK (relatively)

Never tried it myself but I know a fella who says shot works fine in his 54 Renegade.

Now just close your eyes and get over here within arms reach. :grin:

Shooting shot in a rifled bore will produce a donut pattern with little shot hitting the middle.
The shot will also lead the bore by leaving pieces of the pellets stuck to the rifleing and the damaged shot will produce flyers.

I have done this with my modern day fowler, the Remington 870 with a slug barrel on it. To my suprise, I did not hit the target with a single pellet at 25 yards. Put the smooth barrel on and it was a tight pattern in the center.

Here is my understanding of what is happening. The shot and the cup start to rotate like a bullet because of the rifling grooves and produce centifigal forces and when the shot leaves the barrel it immeadiately spreads out Like a spiral Constellation.

The new Taurus Judge which allows you to shoot either a .45 long colt or .410 shot shell has the same problem and it is only good for 15 feet from what I have read. It depends on how tight the rifling is and how long the barrel is on how quickly the shot disperses outward.

I'm sure the centrifugal force is a prime reason for the dispersion of the shot load.

If I didn't make a mistake even a 1:66 twist barrel imparts a fairly high amount of rotation to the ball or, in this case, the outer layers of a shot charge.

At 1200 Feet per Second velocity the rotation of the charge would be 1200 fps X 60 sec = 72,000 feet/min
72,000 feet/min X 12 = 864,000 inches/min
864000/66 = 13091 RPM

Anything that is spinning at 13,091 RPM has a lot of centrifugal force trying to fling it outward.

Back