• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fire Channel Diameter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello and hope everybody is staying well. I am planning to make my own percussion powder drum from scratch for a future build. I currently have good information on all the outside dimensions of the screw in drum. However I am clueless about the internal diameter of the fire hole. I think it is an 1/8" diameter, but that is only a guess. Could someone please offer there opinion on the optimal fire channel diameter. I am planning on producing a drum with 5/16" male thread. Thanks in advance for your input.

Two trains of thought come to mind, large to move powder to the nipple and small to to get the flash to the powder. I favor small to keep the velocity of the flash high.

There needs to be a balance between the exterior diameter of the drum and the size of the hole you drill through it. A wall thickness of the drum that will hold enough threads for the nipple to be secure and sealed.
I plan on turning the O.D. of the drum to 7/16 diameter.

Latest posts

Back