• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

finishing off wounded deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Knife or gun. Depends on deer and conditions. Sure dont want to throw a round ball in the rocks in some of the places I hunt.

Deer i give em the cold steel. I step on the antler and cut em. Bleed it it makes a better cut of meat. Bear, i waste another bullet. :grin:

Never shot a deer.

I have shot coyotes. After I shoot them, I put a bullet into their head when I get about 10 feet away regardless if I think they are already dead. I just feel safer making sure that there is no final shot at revenge for the beast.

The old professional hunters in Africa said of anything dangerous game, " Shoot it until you are absolutely certain it is dead, then shoot it twice more." I tend to say that watching sci-fi movies.................watch yer top knot.............

If they are still standing, it's a shot to the lungs, or neck if I'm close and they're standing still. If they are down, I wait them out. I've sat down by many deer and elk while they passed on. I can't see sticking an animal in the neck with a knife at that point. Bill

I've never had to do it, all the deer I've shot were either DRT or dead by the time I got to them.

I carry a copy of David Copperfield, I throw it down and tell em to read it. That usually finishes them for good. :rotf:
Nit Wit

Has a buck once where I made a hurried shot and didn't get my head down good...hit him high above the heart, 2-3 inches below the spine. He dropped where he stood, paralyzed from the shock to his spinal column, but laid there alert and alive.
I stepped up from behind, stood my 220 pounds on the main beam that was down on the ground, and in one motion shoved a 5" knife blade down in behind the jugular / windpipe and just sliced it right out through both of them at once...

mooseEarleampRay.jpg

I finished off this moose a couple of years ago because he had taken Earle's fowler,whipped his head back and slung it 20 yards behind.luckily it landed butt down and stuck in the mud.I saved Earle,he was crouched down behind a couple of old fir trees shouting "will you shoot that SOB". Earle had a large bruise under his bicep,the fowler had a bent barrel and my gut hurt from laughing.I finished it off with a .50 cal maxiball from a T/C flintlock and it tried to get me too, but he was out of gas. Sometimes they don't like being shot4 times.
TRUE STORY
Nit Wit

I don't think I'd get close to a living buck, wounded or not they can thrash around and hurt you something fierce. I've got a .50 cal flint pistol that I plan on using for my second shot if necessary, though I haven't needed it yet.

My brother once kicked up a doe while walking back to the house. She had been shot in the front leg and wasn't moving very fast. He took aim with his muzzleloader but had a misfire. So he threw the gun down, pulled out his knife and ran after her. Tackled her and cut her throat, laying his full weight on her until she was gone.

Back