• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finally doing it..Ordering my gun kit Monday

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Save your coin for a while more and upgrade in your kit. A Chambers kit or even a Tip Curtis kit. Heck a Tip gun in the white is less than 1200 IIRC. I would recommend a Tip Curtis English fowling piece in the white since you are wanting so much of the work done and are worried about the final product. Do your own homework and specify the hardware based on your study.

Not looking for something like those. Just want a nice looking, good funtioning gun to take hunting without having to sell body parts to get it. :haha:

You did ASK for opinions. I think what I have given is the lowest in quality that should be considered when looking for the best value for the money. You are at 750 and willing to add a little more now. Saving a fee more months to get something of value is not.that hard. Most of have to do that.
I would also add Mike Brooks' fowling gun or trade gun kits to.the recommendations. You could contract him to do some of the things that frighten you. As a matter of fact, that would be my first recommendation for value and quality.
His Carolina would be affordable, good parts, good pattern and without frills. Just the ticket. Less than 750 with the Track Colerain barrel and the extra can go for the extra work you need done and it will be performed by a pro.

So what is wrong with Sitting Fox or TOTW kits. I can't seem to get a straight up honest opinion as to why I shouldn't get one. I was going to get an India gun but these kits seem to be an upgrade from that. Are their kits poor quality? Are there hidden problems with the components that I don't know about? Details...I need details please. If someone knows the answers and doesn't want to post them just PM me.

Generally those are cheaper from say a Chambers kit due to you having to do more, that is if your buying a parts set only but your also having them do more which is costing more correct?

Right. So if I go with the better class kits/builders It will cost more also. But the additional costs from them will cost more than I have to spend and I need those additional services to make this kit doable for me. Am I trying to get too much gun for what I have to spend.(6 gallons in a 5 gallon bucket so to speak). If so then maybe a English or New England fowling gun isn't for me. Mikes Carolina gun is great but it's a Trade gun not a New England or English fowler.

There is nothing wrong with the "kits" sold by TOTW, Pecatonica River, Sitting Fox or the others who provide them.

Their parts are usually the same parts as Chambers provides if you buy a Chambers lock with the kit.

There is a reason I put the word "kit" in quotes.

As you know, there are the kits imported by Traditions or Lyman or made by Pedersoli or Uberti.
These are fully machined and inletted and usually only require some sanding, metal polishing and applying the stock and barrel finish.

An average guy can assemble and finish one of these in about 15-25 hours depending on how careful he is and whether he takes his time or rushes things.

The "kits" provided by TOTW etc are a box of rough parts.
Only the lock and set triggers are near finished and things like the holes and threads in the holes for holding the lock and trigger in place are not located or machined.

The barrel is usually threaded for the breech plug but it is not installed.

The underlugs that hold the barrel in the stock are not located or installed. Neither are the sights.

Things like the trigger guard and butt plate are rough sand castings that will need to be filed, sanded and polished.

Now, you can pay the supplier to breech the barrel, cut the sight dovetails, cut the butt for the butt plate (although you will have to do the final fitting and installing), install the barrel underlugs and do a few other similar things but basically YOU are the one that will have to do the final stock shaping and thinning, the drilling, tapping, filing, inletting, pinning, final sanding finishing and assembly of the parts.

One of these "kits" will take the average first time builder 140-180 hours of his time working on the gun.

If you feel that you can do these things with our help then go for it.

If your slow and careful you can end up with an excellent rifle that will last for hundreds of years.

Not to brag but these are some of the rifles I have made from mainly Pecatonica River "kits".
Penn-Rifle-030037.jpg

A word of warning: Building these is habit forming. I started with just one. :)

Hey Vt,
Sounds like your in the same boat I was. Not much for funding with a kid in college and working 60+ hours a week. Also sounds like you are just looking for a good reliable gun to hunt with. This may or may not help, but I boiled it down to function. I wanted a reliable lock and barrel. I would have been nice to have a fancy stock etc, but I couldn't swing it so I spent my hard earned money on the key components, a good lock and barrel. I ended up having to do more work than I planned on, but I believe I chose well. We will see because I just started this project and I have never done anything like this before. The comments on your post good or bad on this forum were posted because everyone wants you to get the best bang for you buck and succeed. The bottom line is you can afford what you can afford like most of us. As far as I was concerned just as long as it wasn't "import junk" it would serve my purpose. I had to compromise on the stock to get the barrel and lock that I wanted, but barring any serious mistakes on my part I should end up with a more than reliable friend.

Good luck!
fosters

THANK YOU Zonie. That was the answers I was looking for. I plan on having to do some work on this "kit". I know it's not a snap together kit like a Lyman and I'm prepared for that. I just didn't want to spend this kind of money on a boxstore 2x4 shaped like a gun stock and a piece of steel pipe for a barrel or a kids capgun lock. Thats all I was asking. If this build goes well I have another kit that intrests me but we'll see. thats a ways down the road. I'm getting some things done for me to make the build easier and I'm pretty sure I can handle the rest with a little help from the great people here. :bow:

Just keep in mind that in those videos, everything is perfect & the builder very experienced. Stock is hand picked & perfect. Anything going wrong is a retake, etc. The build will not go as smooth as indicated.... However, it does give you an idea of how to build one.

Keith Lisle

Only get onto the site every now and then, the last time I looked, posting pics was kind of involved. Currently working on .32cal, squirrel gun, using sanding in method with blo, and home made walnut stain, just took apart and polished my first lock. Anything you might have to add would be appreciated.
Thx...
Fred

Back