• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Entry pipe inletting ???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm building a P.R. "Verner" rifle. I've run into a snag with the ramrod entry pipe and I'm not sure how to proceed. The pre-drilled rr hole is exactly big enough for the rr to slide into without issue. Of course that means the outside diameter of the pipe is larger than the hole in the stock. Here's the question. Do I enlarge the hole in the stock all the way back or inlet the bottom of each pipe so the inside diameter of the pipe matches the bottom of the rr channel?

That's a nice rifle kit from Pecatonica. Best wishes with it!

Attachments

• IMG_9792.jpg
    IMG_9792.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 29
I don't have the RR in the pipes when drilling for the pins....might prevent the pipes from hitting the bottom of their inlets. and then being loose after pinning. My RR pipes are shown below and after forming, are soldered using high temp {1250 degrees melt and borax as a flux} 1/16 dia silver solder wire {2} which are laid in the groove of the ID. This enables the tab to be 1/2" long....for a shorter slot in the web. A 3/8 reamer is run through after sokdering. Shown are a set of Bucks County RR pipes w/ the entry pipe having an extended finial which is soldered on....a normal length finial would be integral. The silver solder I use matches yellow brass......FredView attachment 130796View attachment 130796

Attachments

• P1010004.JPG
    P1010004.JPG
    241.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
The web of wood between the bottom of the barrel and the ramrod groove is not very thick, maybe 1/4 inch at most. By the time you get the thimbles seated deep enough, the thimble tabs, even if trimmed a lot, seem like they have to contact the barrel. I could see no other way to do it. Doesn't seem to affect anything and will never be seen.

Back