• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

English fowler guild gun..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedOneFive

32 Cal
Reaction score
Here is an English fowler I cleaned up and repaired.
It was a pretty rough little pile when I got it. Had to patch the stock in few places and solder the rib back on
I need to look at my notes on the proof marks to say exactly when again it was made.
It measured out to something like 13 gauge..
The big issue with it was the original nipple was seized in, even with kroil soaking forever, then heat, it took threads from the "drum" when It finally came out, I think I need to drill and tap it out to the next size up to feel very comfortable about it.
received_1057554005056043.jpegreceived_405298514388503.jpegreceived_563859874845131.jpegreceived_898851024090615.jpegreceived_917945169144370.jpegreceived_219731673558600.jpeg

Very nice looking fowler. Great save.
Not sure where the' guild 'part fits in. Brum proofs ,13 s the bore your Drum ? is generally called the bolster looks all right . you've done it proud, nipple might be a bit short but if it works fine. Now you have to brown it ,to bring out the Twist ,any name underneath like 'Rose Bros' ?.For browning I generally get away with a drop of spirits of salts as in Solder flux just a drop in soft water. degrease the entire & leave in a damp place & keep checking it what your after is brown IN the metal not a surface on it . generally gets there .lots of luck .
Regards Rudyard

Not sure where the' guild 'part fits in. Brum proofs ,13 s the bore your Drum ? is generally called the bolster looks all right . you've done it proud, nipple might be a bit short but if it works fine. Now you have to brown it ,to bring out the Twist ,any name underneath like 'Rose Bros' ?.For browning I generally get away with a drop of spirits of salts as in Solder flux just a drop in soft water. degrease the entire & leave in a damp place & keep checking it what your after is brown IN the metal not a surface on it . generally gets there .lots of luck .
Regards Rudyard
When I was figuring out what I had I was told a few times that a lot of the pieces of this time that are unmarked were made by "guild" groups.. A stocker, a barrel maker, a lock maker etc. I could be wrong, and just running with misinformation!

Hard to see in the first picture, but I did re-brown it then rub it back a little. Got some of the twist in the barrel to show..
I appreciate the correct name for bolster as well, I couldn't place what to call it!

When I was figuring out what I had I was told a few times that a lot of the pieces of this time that are unmarked were made by "guild" groups.. A stocker, a barrel maker, a lock maker etc. I could be wrong, and just running with misinformation!

Hard to see in the first picture, but I did re-brown it then rub it back a little. Got some of the twist in the barrel to show..
I appreciate the correct name for bolster as well, I couldn't place what to call it!
I see re Guild but at that Victorian time the guild nonsense didnt exist its a much earlier notion .There might Be ' Guilds' but these didn.t interfere with production . Most guns had a maker or retailers name but if the customer or merchant didnt want a name he didn't get one .There was a brake down of trade . lock makers , Barrel makers ,mount suppliers' ,stockers, all hand in glove supplying such firms who got up the complete gun. down market would likely just the retailers name, Better provincial guns all finnished up the best quality & had their name as a rule .But you got ' Best' guns supplied to provincial firms who catered to customers demands , I have one old double clearly a made to order gun but signed by a firm that where an Iron mongers into modern times .By' Iron monger' that means your 'Hardware store ' Hope Ime not coming across THE great Expert Ime not but I've been around in the trade a long time.
Regards Rudyard

Latest posts

Back