• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dry Beans ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nhmoose said:
Being from New England north of Manchester/Portland any local restaurant not offering backed beans as a side at breakfast will fail in few months.

The favorite bean is not navy beans or the small white beans but are Jacobs cattle or Solider beans baked as usual.
I have never been north of Mass. My Mother came from Rhode Island and was not a very good cook. My dad was a good cook and liked teaching. However her baked beans were great. I had never had them for breakfast, do you serve them with eggs, or pancakes, on there own with bacon?...Maybe as a side with grits?

REALLY?

Would you care to ask her for her recipe & post it??

I love polenta.- Used to eat a lot of it when I was stationed in USAREUR.

yours, satx

I lived there for a while. I was sort of surprised about the beans at breakfast. Usually like a side dish, similar to hash browns or grits, etc.

Would you or someone else tell this 'ole rebel boy how the beans (served over toast) for breakfast are prepared??

I've been stationed a lot of places in the USA & OCONUS but haven't ever been anyplace where beans (other than refried - We South Texicans serve refried beans with eggs, chorizo, etc.) were served for breakfast.

yours, satx

I love refresh beans topped with eggs, fried or pouched. I made it for my dad ounce and he called it Mexican hash. He ate it all . I use cherimoya mixed in the beans, he was soon making it with brecfast sausage.

Pretty self explanatory...
It's as simple as it sounds just baked beans on a piece of toast.

laqVrat.jpg

You can also jazz it up..

[youtube]/HxCpN43lEJQ[/youtube]

My sincere condolences on the loss of your Mother.
(I suspect that my own 97YO Mother will not survive until Christmas.)

yours, satx

The reason that I asked is that (generally) here in the Southland, "Baked Beans" are boiled beans baked with: onions, molasses/ribbon-cane syrup, mustard, lots of crisp bacon and/or ham chunks, ketchup, green/bell peppers & often other things, slow-cooked into a casserole. - Some people bake them overnight at low temperature.
(I can easily "make a meal of" just Baked Beans, biscuits & coffee.)

Your photo (THANKS, btw) looks nothing like what most Southrons call Baked Beans.

NOTE: Cassoulet (which I think of as "fancy baked beans") came to Texas by way of France & the BENELUX countries immigrants about 1840.

ADDENDA: BOBOTIE came to Texas with Sub-Saharan Africans & that too is "bean based" & baked.

yours, satx

Your recipe for baked beans sounds good....

The beans in the picture are plain old Van Camps canned beans....more for illustration and for people that can't cook.... :haha:

Beans on toast is just another way to eat the otherwise mundane....

The recipe that I posted came to Texas from Marshall County, MS about 1820.
(I suspect that some of the ingredients were added here, as time went on.)

Btw, I've found out that my GF's recipe for "Milk Punch" (one of the many variants of eggnog) was served in the Trenches of Petersburg at Christmas 1864 & is probably a LOT older than that, perhaps dating back to the UK/Ireland immigrants.

yours, satx

In the FWIW department: Years ago my uncle, Jimmy G_________ and his "running buddy" Niles R__________ went to the late/lamented Joe Guzman's Tex-Mex joint up in NETX for lunch one Saturday.
(They had been deep into a fruit jar of white corn at that hour.)

Joe's place automatically brought bowls of HOT sauce, tortillas & refried beans to the table with the menus.

Our 2 "heroes" each ate a bowl of refried beans, all the tortillas AND both large bowls of hot sauce before their order arrived about 30 minutes after their orders were taken.

Jimmy later told me that, "I believe that them bowls were the HOTTEST !@#$%! soup that I ever ate."
(I had to LOL.)

yours, satx

tenngun said:
...Maybe as a side with grits?

I made grits for the first time from a box of quaker quick grits. it had the taste and texture of moist sand. Any suggestions to cooking it up, or does it get its' name from "gritty"? thank you

ImVho, "quick grits" are quick but NOT grits.

I buy the (dirt-cheap) long-cooking version until they are thick & somewhat "creamy"

Serve with butter, salt & pepper to taste, with most anything for breakfast/late night supper.

just my opinion, satx

I never had them this way, but adding mushrooms to anything takes it to a whole new level of awesome. maybe add some portabellas sautéed in butter and balsamic to your beans?

As said, don't buy quick grits. Just boiled about plain and slow for 10 to 15 min and served with butter and black pepper is good. You can serve them with a little maple syurp or maple sugar and cream or milk like a bowl of cearal.
The way I like them best is by a campfire with boiled coffee. How ever another great way is add a thin sliced jalopeno pepper per serving and shreaded sharp cheader cheese, or mild jack cheese, or mixed cheese. A little pre cooked crumbled bacon. Bring to a boil and simmer slow for about 15 min. Serve in a bowl with a little salsa.

J Townsends cooking videos on you tube has one on cooking baked beans from an 18th century cook book. It is exactly the same receipt I learned from my mother. My mom was a good mom and I love her and miss her for sure, but shev couldn't cook to save her soul, except for her baked beans and yankee pot roast. Her beans had a long history before her.

Back