• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stock finish drying time in winter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4-0 Steel wool is roughly equivalent to 600 grit wet sandpaper. Maybe 800. Over time, handling and mounting it will leave oil deposits on the surface, and have the effect of "glossying" the stock back up again. Not a big deal to scuff it up again when it needs it to knock back the gloss.

Rotten stone is finer than pumice powder, and pumice is finer than 4-0. I suggest starting on the fine side, and going coarser as you feel you need to. I also suggest degreasing the surface first, or else you might go too far.

I finished my stock last year during the winter, I used a space heater in a small bathroom on a timer. Kept it around 80°, and decreased drying time substantially.

All good suggestions I will definitely try in the future - thanks! UPDATE: Well, I can't leave well enough alone and said dang the winter torpedoes full speed ahead and just went back to my old reliable T&T Varnish top coat. 4 super thin top coats hand rubbed, without any drier, and let it sit by the fireplace. Each dried to the touch in about 8 hrs, letting me do a couple a day like Phil Coffins said. I'm ok with it as it is now:

IMG_20240106_084243944_HDR.jpg

Edited to add: compare to my Kibler I finished in the heat of last summer:

IMG_2 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back