• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

drill press to mill conversion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the BATF has no concerns or regulation about where you keep your own personal guns, other than the suggestion to keep them in a safe place, preferably locked. you can keep them in the same safe, closet. room, whatever, right along side your muzzle guns and/or the muzzle guns you build/work on. just be prepared to prove they are your own private possetions and not for sale or there for repair from a outside private individual..... that's exactly what the purpose of the record keeping regulations in the FFL intends.... and exactly the kind of paranoia the FFL regulations project to those who don't understand thier rights or are ant-gun. if you have no FFL and are building/selling pre-1898 type firearms there's no record of recieving any modern guns to be seen so a records search will bring those guns up as your own and not included in your business in any way. it is exactly this type of paranoia that paves the road for the anti-gun idiots and historicly speaking, for a certain insane and paranoid german we've all read about....think about where that went!
that definition of "occasional" falls on just about every small business that exhists. as you get to point where you start worrying about getting caught for not reporting income from a occasional side job, you had better already have whatever liscences and permits you should have in place , the IRS can and will go back several years, use common sence.

mattybock said:
But is it possible? And if so- how?

Not a shot at ya, but I'm guessing you're a speck older than me (I'm in my 20s), and have had more time to acquire a nest egg, the finer things, a stable home, and contacts with the same. I'm guessing you didn't get out of college full disillusionment and looking at a real unemployment rate of around 20% with one job opening getting 15 applicants.

I haven't. I'm unemployed and near broke. It's a fine thing to say to work 2 full time jobs, but in reality one part time job in today's world is about as common as 50 cent a pound unicorn steak.
I know gunsmiths don't make much cash, and that's fine. Average seems to be real low.

Some is better than none. I would gladly have taken the job for $100 and I need to make a mill from a drill press.

Son,,,yer chasin'yer tail!
You obviously are completely clueless about what is required to machine precise and accurate parts. You ain't gonna do it with a tape measure and a yardstick.
You ain't gonna make a livin' from a drill press jerry rigged into a mill! All yer gonna do is bust cutters and gouge up material.
You would be a lot better of buying some good files and learning how to use them, and there is more to that than meets the eye!

I've been a manual machinist for 40 years,,I'm comfy,,,but not well to do. I have a very well equipped small machine shop that I do prototype work out of.
Gunsmithing=not much money
Junk equipment=negative money

Do as thou wilt.

reddog said:
Son,,,yer chasin'yer tail!
You obviously are completely clueless about what is required to machine precise and accurate parts. You ain't gonna do it with a tape measure and a yardstick.
You ain't gonna make a livin' from a drill press jerry rigged into a mill! All yer gonna do is bust cutters and gouge up material.
You would be a lot better of buying some good files and learning how to use them, and there is more to that than meets the eye!

I've been a manual machinist for 40 years,,I'm comfy,,,but not well to do. I have a very well equipped small machine shop that I do prototype work out of.
Gunsmithing=not much money
Junk equipment=negative money

Do as thou wilt.

Most of us have tried....maybe you will get thru. Your experience and advice is no doubt sound.

Sir
My sincerest apology. :redface:
I did not see it, or at least it didn’t register, your statement of
“There was much more dialog involved than I am willing to share here. “
:redface:

Trust me when I say I understand.

Best of everything to you my friend.

William Alexander

Latest posts

Back