• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Mt. Rifle Question....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kapow, the issue is everything is cross drilled through the threaded sections. Drilling through threads really messes them up and removal can damage the threads that you want to save it's risky removing the drum and the breech plug itelf shouldn't be taken out because not only is it cross drilled they really torque them babies when installed putting alot of stress on the barrel threads.
CVA1.jpg

Guys have done the conversion, but it should be approached by folks with knowledge and proper tools. I have yet to find a gunsmith that will do this for someone, the risk of failure under pressure is too great.
Cuttohalfinch.jpg

slotteddrillcenter.jpg

Why not just shave the bolster, tap the inside, and instal a vent liner. Seems like reinventing the wheel putting a nut in there. 9 times out of 10 the bolster breaks at or in the barrel(Yeup, been there, done that). Seems like it would save a step, and stop alot of cussing and guessing. Plus it keeps the integrity of the threads to the breech plug.....Plus it works like a charm, and I can replace My vent liner pretty easy....

The issue with just drilling out the bolster and inserting a vent liner comes with the very thin remaining bolster thread wall that the vent liner would be installed in.

On my first Deer Creek flintlock I took a dremel with the flex shaft with a conical stone and went down through the muzzle. The handle on the flex shaft was just under the .54 bore anr would not allow the stone to contact the rifling. Less is more as you are relieving the breech plug recess at the shoulder.

Oh but this time working on a .45 caliber flintlock barrel and being 10 years wiser I got the lesson I deserved.

I went to pull the breech plug so as to open the plug recess a bit (i have pulled and instaled a few on antiques to bring them into shooting condition). I was well aware that the percussion bolster threads into the breech. Took out the vent liner and applied map gas good bench good vise good wrench plug no turn more heat sheared hook. Great #%^*en fantastic, I wanted a flat faced breech plug anyway.I drilled with a 3/8 bit through the plug, more heat easy-out no go.

Whatever,no biggy, I sawed and inch off the barrel to get into the forensics of the problem. There is a vent hole vent hole liner, a bushing really which threads into the breech plug acting as a breech plug keeper. The bushing may even be the same diameter are the percussion bolster thread making for an easier conversion.

Now i get to put in a flat faced plug 5/8-18 and go with coned vent hole liner at the location of my choosing, oh yeah i get to move the under lugs too.

Bob

That for the info Pete. So if is not marked spain is it USA?

I keep reading that Deer Creek produced barrels for CVA and then on there own, with the old Douglas machinery.

Bob

Bob, Maybe, maybe not. Send me the s/n and a pic of the markings...Like I was saying serial Number range and markings..

Last edited by a moderator:
I am working on posting some photos of removed breech plugs from mountain rifles flint and perrcussion.

Bob

The previous post show pictures of the barrel fragments from a flintlock mountain rifle along with the breech plug and bolster removed from a percussion mr.

The first photo in the vice shows that the flintlock barrel has the same cross bolt design as the percussion (well illustrated in kopows ealier post). The cross bolt on the flinter is the same thread as the percussion bolster (8mm fine). The cross bolt on the flinter is drilled and tapped to accept the vent liner.

The cross bolt on bolt on both is threaded through the breech plug bearing on the far side.

Coverting from perc to flint is as simple as flushing off the bolster to the barrel face and tapping the hole in the cross bolt for a vent liner.

The problem is you would still have the ignition problems that plague the degign. The image with the calipers shows the recess (ante chamber) in the breech plug is only about 1/4 inch in diameter the powder charge then has to take a right angle turn to get to the touch hole. Wiping between shots serves fouling into the ante chamber compounding the problem.

Bob

Thanks Fish,
Did not know why folks were trying to re invent the wheel with this one. Vent liner fits in fine, and there is enough meat to not have a blow out. An older flinty with a direct vent has less meat to work with...

Pete,

Do you shoot one of these mountain rifles in flintlock in its stock form? Did all the CVA MR flinters have the rounded tail on the lock?

The breech plug is 16mm x 1.25 the cross bolt is 8mm x 1.25.

Bob

P.S. I email you my serial numbers last week did you get them?

The pictures below shows a CVA Mountain Rifle breech plug before and it's opened to .45 cal for a .50 Cal flint conversion. The thread for the vemt liner is M8 x 1.25 kind of an odd ball extra fine thread I ordered some flat head machine screws so i can counter sink the barrel just a bit i plan the make the vent liner long enough to pass into the plug recess wall. A patch .45 cal jag fit nicely and i'll make a stepped .45-.50 jag for cleening between shots.

Bob

OPENEDPLUG3.jpg
[/img]
cvaplugrecess.jpg
[/img]
OPENEDPLUG2.jpg
[/img]

Seems like a lot of if and maybe's when for a few hundred bucks you can own a other gun. Whats wrong with that

While anything is possible, I see no particular advantage in the conversion from time, effort and cost standpoints. The rifle is no longer made, and may be more desirable to a present or future market if left as-is.

Having a caplock rifle and desiring flint is quite simply, an opportunity. There are quality production rifles available approaching the price of what it would cost to do the conversion, plus you would have the versatility to grab whichever one you want to shoot at moments' notice. You can also select a different caliber, for more versatility of use, or just to have the choice.

If you fear the prospect of owning more than one rifle, your apprehensions are real, as muzzleloaders tend to multiply like rabbits.

While I have a meager rifle count compared to many shooters I know, I do have several .40, .50 &.54 cal rifles in both flint and percussion, and there's always room for another rifle - especially flint.

Rotate your stock? Move a few of them around so she sees different ones from time to time then throw in the ringer.

Latest posts

Back