• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loading Preference

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never used a shot cup... yet

The knight video shows sending the cup Down.. then pour a cup of shot and then a card...

I'd want to try pushing it down a full cup with card on top....

I just couldn't tell you if it's that much harder to push down or not.

Shooting a clean gun is different... feels less reliable.

Can we foul these things with a shot before the season and hunt it..

I wanted to fire one shot at the range.... not clean it for the season.

Right now it's clean.. hottt water clean..

Are we over cleaning these things?
The old guys used to fire a "fouling shot" at the range prior to shooting for their score. You are ON to something here...just remember to clean it real well before putting it away!

The dp10 I clean after every birds hunt.. I use it everyday after work during the season. I'll clean it for one dirty barrel sometimes 😆...

It's a ritual.. Cleaning birds then the gun then make my pre loads.

going to try not cleaning.. maybe clean it once a week during the season.

Attachments

• 17149040881618271255544555269238.jpg
    17149040881618271255544555269238.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 0
Those old classic scales work the same or better.

I was looking for a real nice one like that.. they get pricey depending on the vintage.

Trying to find a picture.. I can't find it.. I'd like one of those scales ⚖️ just for decoration in the man cave somewhere.

Found one.. because it's a jewelers scales I had and it was allot nicer than the one I just found for $1,000...

Attachments

• 17149080656829017070252540194134.jpg
    17149080656829017070252540194134.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
"Powder patch, ball". Don't know where your interpretation of "load stack" comes from. You pour the powder, tap and/or bump to make sure it has gone all the way down, then short-start and ram a patched ball down that will seat on top of the powder that's already where it's supposed to be. Is there something I'm missing about a "load stack"? I don't see any distinction or any advantage with "loading each component separately". Missing a "component" or "doubling up" is more likely to just be a result of not paying attention to what you're doing. And in fact, the more complicated that you make the procedure, the more likely it is to screw up somewhere along the line. Just my opinion.
Tap the barrel after powder charge? only takes a second, I know, but why? Would not the next load components push the powder down to where it should be?

I didnt know either. powder, patch ball, ram it.
I too slap the rifle to help settle the powder, maybe its not necessary but I do it. I also always out of habit, blow a long breath into the muzzle after the shot, to help soften fouling.
Just something I got into the habit of doing, much like using a blow tube after the shot in black powder cartridge shooting.
Remember how "blowing down the barrel" thread went south due to differences in opinions?

Remember how "blowing down the barrel" thread went south due to differences in opinions?
😆 you know with a potatoes gun after shooting you open it and swing it back and forth to get fresh new oxygen in there..

Makes a difference...

And very verrry little squirt of starting ether.. just a little . You want allot of oxygen.

Last edited:
"Powder patch, ball". Don't know where your interpretation of "load stack" comes from. You pour the powder, tap and/or bump to make sure it has gone all the way down, then short-start and ram a patched ball down that will seat on top of the powder that's already where it's supposed to be. Is there something I'm missing about a "load stack"? I don't see any distinction or any advantage with "loading each component separately". Missing a "component" or "doubling up" is more likely to just be a result of not paying attention to what you're doing. And in fact, the more complicated that you make the procedure, the more likely it is to screw up somewhere along the line. Just my opinion.
You are referring to loading a ball. I believe the original post refers to loading shot. The original post did not clearly state what they meant.

Yes, that argument also makes sense. So, I suppose it's one of those six and half a dozen things. ;)
People do bad stuff out of habit. Like smoking. The guns we shoot in this particular avocation are notoriously weak in the wrist. Bounce it once on an unseen rock in the ground and disaster could happen. And like smoking, it’s wisest to stop doing bad habits.

I thought he meant birds shot..
People do bad stuff out of habit. Like smoking. The guns we shoot in this particular avocation are notoriously weak in the wrist. Bounce it once on an unseen rock in the ground and disaster could happen. And like smoking, it’s wisest to stop doing bad habits.
No no.. with your hand.. not the ground.. just a few taps...

I like smoking.. unfortunately...

Hunting I put the butt on the ground to load but I look first. It is what it is..

on the range I put a sweat shirt on the ground...

My dog already side swiped me real good. I was just standing there with the gun slung over shoulder..
she's just like a male dog out there. Worse because she knows. got a small dent on the stock. It's small...

She's so stupid it's great.. female aren't like that. I wanted a male because I like the way they cover ground hunt etc.. the way they work...

Last edited:
I thought he meant birds shot..

No no.. with your hand.. not the ground.. just a few taps...
Still not needed. The long drop down the tube is already going to settle the powder in about as tight as it’s going to get. It fact tapping it will probably loosen it up.

Some I've seen on video.. really pack it down.. even drop the ram down little..

I've done both.

Push pack and ram it good.

and push till seated. hold for 1 seconds to let the air excape. Then a few drops taps with the rod to feel it's down.

I have no clue.. i heard it's 100fps difference. Between packing or not.

I like to push till bottom.. then give it my shoulder weight for packing. A few packing rod drops to feel is down nothing crazy.. just to feel bottom.

I don't know what's better... im more about whatever as long as it's down all the way.. most my packing is just checking that it feels seated.

I've seen some people on video pick the rod up and throw drop it down hard on the wads packing.

I have a question...

Measuring.. I measure loose volume. If I tap the tube twice.. the powder settles down 10 grains..

Im at just under 80 now loose.. with a tap it's 70.. what's better... what way. I think I heard read measure loose volume.

I don't tap it on anything hard, and I do it gently. No worries. My rifle is my baby. ;) Habits are also developed for good reasons and to maintain method throughout distraction.

Last edited:
Back