• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Kentucky trigger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just acquired my first CVA rifle. It is a flintlock and looks to be nearly new condition. however, the trigger is very sloppy. Flopping around side to side as well forward and backward full cock or not. Is this normal for CVA or is there something missing in the trigger mechanism? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

It's the way of all those cva and traditions Kentucky rifles. If it bothers you you could probably fit a very light spring inside.

Very normal. I do have a CVA 50 pistol though that has an interesting factory spring. Doesn't stop the flop completely, but mostly. Might give someone ideas if you can fabricate one.

IMG_20240119_133302806.jpg

IMG_20240119_133320819.jpg

IMG_20240119_133445609_BURST000_COVER-01.jpeg

I took this apart and discovered the hole passing through the trigger is oversized in relation to the size of the retaining pin. I have a small diameter stainless steel rod that should work For a new pin. Won’t help the front to back slop but should tighten up the side to side.

I took a cheap drill just slightly bigger than the factory hole and drilled it out. Then I cut a new pin from the solid end of the same drill bit to replace the old pin. Took most of the side to side wiggle out for me

I took a cheap drill just slightly bigger than the factory hole and drilled it out. Then I cut a new pin from the solid end of the same drill bit to replace the old pin. Took most of the side to side wiggle out for me
Just finished doing that! Worked great so far. Trigger pull a little heavier now but I’m sure the brass will loosen up quickly

Just finished doing that! Worked great so far. Trigger pull a little heavier now but I’m sure the brass will loosen up quickly
You could also try taking the lock appart and polishing all of the surfaces. That helped mine a lot with the trigger pull. I'm pretty satisfied with mine how it is now. I wouldn't want it any easier with being a single trigger.

Does your flint hit the frizzen at half cock?
Haven’t put a flint in it yet. Will do that this afternoon and report back. I would think that it shouldn’t contact frozen at half cock correct? What are the standard processes for,selecting correct flint and placement. Didn’t realize how much I didn’t know.

Last edited:
It's not supposed to hit but mine does. I use a leather frizzen cover as a "safety" for my rifle since I can't have it at half cock when the frizzen is closed.

As for flint selection, I am in now way an expert. I would
Refer you to youtube. There are several good videos on there. One channel that has helped me a lot is Black Powder TV. He has a series called New Shooters Series that explains everything from flint orientation to patch material and lubes. Also, black powder maniac and I Love Muzzleloading are a couple other channels i like.

Last edited:
The flint should be 1/16" or so away from the face of the frizzen. You may need to cut a hole in the leather to it can push back around the screw. Some folks advocate nibbling a notch out of the back of the flint to clear the screw also. Having the bevel up will move the cutting edge of the flint down a little and provide some clearance compared with bevel down. CVA should use a 5/8" flint, for what it's worth. That's the width, and you will probably want to select some which are as long.

For the trigger slop, you can solder (or use JB Weld) a piece of steel on top of it to bring it closer to the seer bar, or inlet the trigger plate deeper into the stock to lessen the clearance between the two.
Hope that helps!

~Kees~

The flint should be 1/16" or so away from the face of the frizzen. You may need to cut a hole in the leather to it can push back around the screw. Some folks advocate nibbling a notch out of the back of the flint to clear the screw also. Having the bevel up will move the cutting edge of the flint down a little and provide some clearance compared with bevel down. CVA should use a 5/8" flint, for what it's worth. That's the width, and you will probably want to select some which are as long.

For the trigger slop, you can solder (or use JB Weld) a piece of steel on top of it to bring it closer to the seer bar, or inlet the trigger plate deeper into the stock to lessen the clearance between the two.
Hope that helps!

~Kees~
Thanks and it does help!

Back