• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Coyote calling PC?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swtodd

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I know turkey calls were used, has anyone read about coyote calling during the time frame acceptable to be a topic of this forum? If so i have another question. Thanks,

steve

Oh, I have no doubt based on the way I was taught to do it as a kid in the Southwest.

We'd cup our hands together like we were praying with our fingers and palms shifted to form a cup, then pinch a blade of grass between our upright thumbs and blow. Best "dying rabbit" I've ever heard, including all the modern marvels from the outdoor show pitch artists on TV. Close range we'd just do a mouse squeak with our lips. If that wasn't the ancient origin of modern calls, I'll eat my hat.

Thank you, i couldn't find any thing written about it. That makes sense. People of that time period may not have had as much time for such foolishness. But a few had to be as foolish as me :youcrazy: . Thanks again.

steve

We'd cup our hands together like we were praying with our fingers and palms shifted to form a cup, then pinch a blade of grass between our upright thumbs and blow.

I did that with a herd of elk that had spotted me and was moving off into the timber about 200 yards away. But, one cow went nutty and came running over toward me. Came up to within 20 yards and hung out there forever.

This was in July, so hunting was not part of the outing. Only thing I could figure is the cow had recently lost a calf and thought the grass blade was a distress call from her calf.

I know turkey calls were used, has anyone read about coyote calling during the time frame acceptable to be a topic of this forum?

I don't think the PC rules would apply to whether or not a hunting method was used back in the day, but rather if the posts on the topic related to calling/hunting with trad ml gun.

When I go for coyotes with my ml, I use a homemade electronic caller! :redface:

Cool, i was planning on cheating with a modern mouth call, i'm gonna try the grass method. If i can make the right noises i'll use it. Being uncoordinated as i am, i kinda doubt my ability. Thanks.
Homemade electronic call :hmm: Sounds interesting.

steve

would it not be pc to just take a rabbit with you and squeeze it hard every 20 min....
smilielol.gif
laughing.gif

Good idea, lots of rabbits around here. Maybe just "wing" one and wait :wink: .

steve

I doubt calling coyotes is PC. Coyotes weren't very far east and with wolves and bears in great abundance in the west I doubt coyotes ran in with quite the same gusto. But.... there are some guys making pretty cool little calls made out of cow horn tips. They would look right at home next to a powder horn.

Tim

would it not be pc to just take a rabbit with you and squeeze it hard every 20 min....

Heh Heh, one of my recorded calls is derived from the sounds that a guy got out of a jack by doing pretty much that. Very realistic,.. cause it is! :haha:

PREDATOR CALLS are fairly well available through most of the big catalog sportsman guides, and on their websites. Typically, a crying rabbit call is used, simply because when a rabbit gets its foot trapped in wire, it panics, and sends out loud calls. That brings in all kind of predators, from canines, and cats, to hawks- even raccoons and members of the weasel family.

Thanks Paul, i've used those plastic ones and an electronic call in a past life. One made from horn that would kinda blend with a powder horn has me by the brain after Tim mentioned it. Thanks again,

steve

Calls have been made from many different substance. I MY predator call is made of wood, with a "plastic" reed. I used to used blades of grass held between my thumbs to blow on to imitate a wounded rabbit. I have seen calls made from bones, from ivory, all kinds of wood, reed( bamboo), and even a few made of metal.

They all work, if you are in the right place at the right time.

People didn't hunt them in the Eastern US in the 1700s. They couldn't, coyotes didn't live there then.

They are one of the few species that has expanded it range and population with the spread of humans. i.e. they live well on what we leave lying about.

The original range of the coyote seems to have been isolated to the western U.S. states. When human populations showed up in N. America, in numbers, living got easy for the coyote. Due to the changes people made to the environment their population spread across all of N. America.

We usually cut a green limb about 3/8" x 3" split it open on one end, inserted a thin leaf,trimmed it to the wood, called them hawk calls but any predator might come in. I've called in hawks, coyotes and twice had cougars just a few feet away. Some places it's hard to find a leaf that's thin enough.
I think in the day of the Grizzly very few people went predator calling or they never came back to tell about it.
Deadeye

i've used those plastic ones and an electronic call in a past life. One made from horn that would kinda blend with a powder horn has me by the brain after Tim mentioned it.

Toots, here is a link to a board that is All about calling. They have many members who are custom hand call makers.

Hand calls

we had wolves that pretty well ruled the canine world in the Eastern U.S. On the wide open prairies, we had wolves, but they tended to leave the small varmints and rodents to the coyotes, and used their pack skills, and physical size to bring down deer, elk, and even buffalo- altho they tended to prey on the the new born buffalo, rather than take on a herd bull. Only in the winters, when the old bulls were pushed out of the herd and were left to die, did the wolf packs take the old ones on.

When I grew up, coyotes were not widely known in Illinois, for instance. The Red fox, and in the northern counties, some gray fox were the large predator. I learned to track wildlife working the tracks of a red fox that fed on mice and ground squirrels in the cemetery next to my subdivision.

However, in the 60s, as the deer population spread through Illinois, the coyote followed, and now we often find few red fox in areas where they were once numerous. We have coyote all over the county, and even seen inside the city limits of Champaign-Urbana, Illinois. ( Along with deer, turkeys, beaver, muskrats, raccoon, opossum, hawks, feral cats, feral dogs, rabbits, squirrels, mice, etc.)

Back