• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Conical for bull elk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The peep sight folds down when not in use. You just got to make sure that if it is folded down, you dont take the staff into your eye when shooting the open sights. Open sights for closer work, peep sight set for longer range.

Regarding wads, TOW has .50 cal wool wads that are lubed, or prehards a card wad.

I have one rifle that once I used both the wool and card wad together, the groups at 100 yards went from 2.5" to 1". That might not seem like a lot, and for a hunting rifle that is not a big deal, but I shoot out to 1,000 yards with that ML.

You might not need a wad. I would try shooting it first without.

Fleener

Christopher, where those .50cal or .54cal. I shoot the 470 .54s but thought there was also a lighter .54 as well! Thanks Reds
I had both molds, the .50 & .54 over 35 years back. I cast some. 54's but only having .50's at that time that mold through a tremendous amount of pure lead compared. Those. 54's were considerably heavier, but I don't recall the actual grains. These were the original Maxihunter conical style, with the more rounded nose profile.
My son found tge .50 mold and gave it to me not long ago. I've been using PRB the past decade, but plan cast more of these slugs at some point soon.

If you are new to conicals, be carful when hunting with them in that they dont slide off your powder column when you are hiking around hunting.

Fleener
This is true for some. However, I’ve never had that happen. Not even on my ATV in the rough mountains.

A quick check every once in a while with the ramrod is all that’s needed.

Don’t overthink it.

.535 round ball put this stag down on the spot.
IMG_2295.jpeg

I had both molds, the .50 & .54 over 35 years back. I cast some. 54's but only having .50's at that time that mold through a tremendous amount of pure lead compared. Those. 54's were considerably heavier, but I don't recall the actual grains. These were the original Maxihunter conical style, with the more rounded nose profile.
My son found tge .50 mold and gave it to me not long ago. I've been using PRB the past decade, but plan cast more of these slugs at some point soon.
The T/C manual I have shows for the .54 cal.

Maxi-Balls .54
365 gr
430 gr Premade / Mold Block #7292 (?) *
530 gr

Maxi-Hunters .54
360 gr
435 gr Premade / Mold Block #7376 (?)
540 gr

Premade = factory made bullets I have.

Mold Block #s are from the original (unopened) package for Maxi-Hunter mold I have. Only show one mold for each style and caliber.

*Cast by me Maxi-Ball weighs 434.4 grains unlubed.

IMG_0235w.jpg

IMG_0285w.jpg

The 345 is now a 415 grain, didn't like the 345.
The key to getting them to shoot is finding the right diameter.
They need a snug fit all the way down, with some good lube.
I like a bit harder lead, maybe 40 to 1.
Killed a squirrel at 75 yards with the 450 using a 1-28 twist.
The 415 works well in my 1 in 30 twist 50.
Accuracy is all about fit, and 80-90 grains of 777 FFF.

Last edited:
Chasing Elk in the high lonesome of Colorado in September Muzzleloader season is one of my favorite things. I think you're smart using a conical as for years I was bound and determined to bring one down with a patched round ball. I shoot a .54 however what I found is my group accuracy went way up with a conical so that's what I now use for elk. I know you know this but shoot, shoot, shoot before season as much as you can.
I hunt elk with 90 grains of Triple 7 and with a 425 grain Great Plains bullet. Last bull I took with it (5x5) I called into about 50 yards and he ran about 40 yards before expiring.

Chasing Elk in the high lonesome of Colorado in September Muzzleloader season is one of my favorite things. I think you're smart using a conical as for years I was bound and determined to bring one down with a patched round ball. I shoot a .54 however what I found is my group accuracy went way up with a conical so that's what I now use for elk. I know you know this but shoot, shoot, shoot before season as much as you can.
I hunt elk with 90 grains of Triple 7 and with a 425 grain Great Plains bullet. Last bull I took with it (5x5) I called into about 50 yards and he ran about 40 yards before expiring.
You got it right.

Howdy all,

I'll be after rutting Arizona bulls this fall with my GPR .50. I have some deer & a javelina with a PRB, but I am going with the 1-32 twist GPH barrel and a conical for this hunt. The barrel is unfired and I have never shot conicals before. Initial bit of research has me looking at the 460gr No Excuses. I'd love to hear experienced recommendations for projectile, load and reasonable max range for acceptable terminal performance vs recoil. I have not done any of my own casting before and starting in on that is probably a bridge too far for me with an out of state move and a lot of other competing priorities this summer. Also, I have the Lyman tang peep sight and have done some target shooting, but never hunted with that sight. Would anyone call it too restrictive for a close encounter say, inside 50 yards?

Thanks
Another thing I was thinking is the peep sight question really boils down to how accurate you are with it. If you're shooting good with it then go with it.

I shoot with the stock sites on mine and when that bull comes screaming in on your call...it really boils down to accuracy. Along with that...I would also suggest practicing a lot with speed loaders. They seem pretty easy but when you're amped up and needing to take another shot....a good speed loader and knowing how to use it can help immensely. Sure....not traditional and I'm right there too however when I'm trying to make meat....especially elk meat...I try to be as accurate and efficient as possible.

Recoil....I'm never concerned about recoil. Load the gun as needed to humanly take down an animal and the recoil is simply a biproduct of that and chances are you won't even notice it after you take your shot at the elk.

Howdy all,

I'll be after rutting Arizona bulls this fall with my GPR .50. I have some deer & a javelina with a PRB, but I am going with the 1-32 twist GPH barrel and a conical for this hunt. The barrel is unfired and I have never shot conicals before. Initial bit of research has me looking at the 460gr No Excuses. I'd love to hear experienced recommendations for projectile, load and reasonable max range for acceptable terminal performance vs recoil. I have not done any of my own casting before and starting in on that is probably a bridge too far for me with an out of state move and a lot of other competing priorities this summer. Also, I have the Lyman tang peep sight and have done some target shooting, but never hunted with that sight. Would anyone call it too restrictive for a close encounter say, inside 50 yards?

Thanks

I have considerable knowledge with elk hunting, Shooting conicals, and hunting with peep sights. If you look up threads I have made it will give you a start.
This is one of my Renegade's I hunt with. It has a Lyman 57 SML peep and a Lyman 17AML globe with Lee Shavers inserts. I have taken a lot of game at 50 yards. The peep sight has never impaired me. The great thing about the peep sight and globe is your eye naturally centers the rings. at low light and close range they are very easy to shoot in my opinion. If sighted in with a range finder you can set the sight for the shot.

JlO6298.jpg

In this picture you can see on the scale on the side that I have white lines. These are in 50 yard increments. This is an old picture, My scale now goes to 300 yards.

h3LfwZ6.jpg

In this picture you can see the push button. By pushing it you can adjust the sight to the yardage you wish to shoot at, or in this picture you can take it off and put it in your pocket to protect it if you are on an ATV, Horse, Or climbing in an area that might make you think twice about safety.

i6JlSDw.jpg

The Lee Shavers inserts

OPqdP1f.jpg

Of all the factory bullets the No Excuse is probably the best I have tested.
This picture is of two Hornady 410 gr flat nose bullets. They were discontinued in about 2007 or 2008. The bullet that they stuck with is a hollow point. As you can see the flat point is turned inside out. It over expanded to the point of reducing penetration. The hollow point is garbage in my opinion, but they are accurate.

xO4JRud.jpg

This is what I use. It is the Lee 500 S&W bullet. It weighs 458 grains and is slightly hardened to between 6 and 7 BHN hardness.

H1Jkg7v.jpg

I shot this bull with that bullet.

EG7ElWF.jpg

The bull was very close to private property. I had to put him down where he stood or risk him going on to private land, and possibly losing him. I held for a high shoulder shot. If you read about my shooting, that is a shot I take often. But I don't recommend unless you are shooting bullets that are hardened like mine, and you know the animals anatomy extremely well. The bullet was 458 grains to start and 454 grains when I found it under the skin on the off side.

V71Mr4N.jpg

9a42XIw.jpg

The 460 gr No excuse is still going to be a soft lead. I wouldn't go specifically for a shoulder shot. But they are good bullets and I would trust them. I would try 80 grains of Pyrodex P or 64.5 actual grains with a 54 cal over powder wad. Yes a 54 cal. The 54 cal makes a better seal. The 64.5 actual grains is important. Not everyone measures volume the same. That weight of powder is going to give you about 1310 fps. Some might think this is not enough. I can tell you for a fact, this is enough to take any animal in the lower 48.
The recoil is more than a PRB but it is not bad in my mind. I like Pyrodex P because the granules are smaller and they filter under the nipple easier when you tap on the stock.

Someone tried to make it sound like the bullets were falling out of the sky almost vertically, and they don't hit straight on. All projectiles are falling. No projectile defies gravity, even 17 cal bullets going 4000 feet per second is falling. Conicals DO hit straight on, and I can prove that with splatters on steel targets. In this picture you can see the splatters are in a circle not just splattering down. This target was shot at 500 yards with my muzzleloader. That is actually a 3 shot group at 500 yards with my muzzleloader.

4qNak3E.jpg

Idaho Ron is right on the money…what he is demonstrating is that accuracy is everything…shot placement is critical to success…Elk as incredibly stout tough beasts that they are, drop readily with heart lung shots .
IMG_2925.jpeg
this is 240gr .45 cal all lead bullet after a double lung shot at 83 yds.
IMG_2878.jpeg
this bull walked 40yds and fell over…
I’m just stressing Idaho Ron’s emphasis on accuracy and the sights to deliver that accuracy so you can put what ever bullet you choose exactly where it needs to land on the animal for a quick kill…know your gun and load intimately and get in shape….you’re in for an awesome good time best of luck.

Thank you to Idaho Ron. Your writings have done more for "accurizing" my loads than anything else by far. I've been shooting T-C's in .54 but have just acquired a .58 that I intend to work with.

Fantastic write up Ron. Thank you. I did not even realize the Lyman 57 had the button “quick release” type feature. To confirm, you are saying 64.5gr by weight which is approximately 80gr by volume, correct? I have weighed my charges in the past and intend to do the same.

Fantastic write up Ron. Thank you. I did not even realize the Lyman 57 had the button “quick release” type feature. To confirm, you are saying 64.5gr by weight which is approximately 80gr by volume, correct? I have weighed my charges in the past and intend to do the same.
Yes I would start with 64.5 actual grains. That should measure 80 gr. If you ue T7 pistol powder start with 57 actual grains.

Idaho Ron is right on the money…what he is demonstrating is that accuracy is everything…shot placement is critical to success…Elk as incredibly stout tough beasts that they are, drop readily with heart lung shots .View attachment 309687this is 240gr .45 cal all lead bullet after a double lung shot at 83 yds.View attachment 309688this bull walked 40yds and fell over…
I’m just stressing Idaho Ron’s emphasis on accuracy and the sights to deliver that accuracy so you can put what ever bullet you choose exactly where it needs to land on the animal for a quick kill…know your gun and load intimately and get in shape….you’re in for an awesome good time best of luck.
Nice bull!!

Yes I would start with 64.5 actual grains. That should measure 80 gr. If you ue T7 pistol powder start with 57 actual grains.
For the over powder wad, I am looking at pre-lubed OxYoke Wonder Wads. Any concerns with lube compromising the top of your powder column when loaded for a couple or three days in the field? Would you recommend dry instead?

For the over powder wad, I am looking at pre-lubed OxYoke Wonder Wads. Any concerns with lube compromising the top of your powder column when loaded for a couple or three days in the field? Would you recommend dry instead?
I make my own with a 5/8" punch. I only add enough lube to keep it from burning.
I don't use store bought.

Latest posts

Back