• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CO Tresspass Laws

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are hopefully right about the wilderness in Colo. When I was there in 2000 and again in 2001. I was amazed how crowded the mountains were. I think it seemed as if I were seeing more hunters there than in Ohio. Of course I realize too, it is a big state, and other areas probably don't get the pressure. But all day, there were 4x4 trucks and SUV everywhere! Driving around, looking for one to get near the road. Actually, I hope the rest of Colo. is better than what I experienced. I was almost happy to return to Ohio.

I did notice when I finally begged the guys I was hunting with to let me out of the truck and pick me up in 6hrs, that things changed in a hurry. Once you get about 1/2 mi. plus away from a 2 track, wildlife sign picks up quickly. These critters all got smart to the 2 tracks and that bullets come from them during the hunting season, (probably non-hunting season as well) I didn't take me terribly long though after getting away from the roads and I was in the game and I brought home an elk. The only one in our grp. on foot and the only one with a filled tag. Never went back, needed to find hunters to go with and not road hunters.

Dave K said:
No, most of mine are between 20 and 25. In this flat land, if you take a look at a woods, you will see that the normal point of vision seems to fall in around 15ft. So you need to get above that and also where the branches of the trees start to clump or you look like a transformer on a power pole. Different areas mean different type trees, different terrain. In pine trees, you don't have to hunt this high. Like anything, experience will teach you about the different areas you hunt.

I grew up hunting in Mass. I still never made like a squirrel in a tree. We couldn't use rifles either.

I have strong feelings about some things, and it's hard to hide.

My strong feelings about tree stands developed when I fell out of one. :rotf:

Still have one in the store room. If I ever go up a tree again to hunt it will be something way more substantial than a portable stand.

When I lived in VA I had one stand that was large enough that I could lay down and take a nap. Which I did. :) For some reason I never got a deer out of that tree. :hmm:

This year in the muzzleloading season in my favorite wilderness area, I saw no other hunters or guys driving the roads-there are no roads in wilderness areas. In the high country early deer season, no hunters in sight, and in the third rifle season, opening day only my partner. I usually hunt alone. Second and third days of third rifle season I met 2 hunters on each day, as we were climbing.

If you ever plan to hunt here again, a solo trip to just about any wilderness area and you will experience the same that I did. A mile or more into the woods should be plenty. I was cured of easy access in the 70's, when a guy came out of nowhere, shoved his Weatherby in my stomach, and demanded to take the deer I had hanging. He didn't get it, and I never went back there. I suppose a felon could be found in a wilderness area, but the probability is much lower.

Well, I would be happy to look you up and point me in the right direction, if I am ever able to get back there to hunt. I really am a solo hunter. I make my own good fortune and my own mistakes. Though I love sharing a camp with good friends. But we all seem to have different ways to hunt, so they go their own way and I go my way and that is great. Everyone finds what they are looking for and it isn't always just game. :thumbsup:

I learned that a long time ago. When I had hiked about two miles to a trail that had been good before. It was just about daylight, and I was just getting into where I wanted to go, when a 4-wheeler came roaring up behind me with it's lights on.
You have to get out where the other hunters won't, but you have to resign yourself that there will be a lot of packing if you are successful. :surrender:

I go as far as I can go in this, and then start hiking.

Picture_002.jpg

Picture_005.jpg

Back