• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning jag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the steel threaded ones but brass ones have lasted for many years too. I made a completely steel one and it works fine since the jag never touches the bore.

Since I have a lathe I make my own. For the jag I use brass and make it between 3/4" to 1" long and taper it from front to back by about 0.025" - 0.030". I make angular cuts with a threading tool that will capture a patch and not let the patch come off until the jag is removed from the bore. I then drill and tap it half the length for a #10-32 stainless steel screw that extends about 1/2" beyond the end of the jag and either Loc-Tite or silver solder it in. I never had one of these jags fail to do it's intended job. ;) :thumb:.

Jags can easily be made from about anything. I have made them from brass, antler, wood, plastic, etc. Usually I don't use my lathe but just chuck up the material on my drill press. I turn using files and cut the grooves with a small triangular. After turning drill a hole and thread in a section of bolt the right size for your rod. Easy peasey. Do yer own thang.

Since I have a lathe I make my own. For the jag I use brass and make it between 3/4" to 1" long and taper it from front to back by about 0.025" - 0.030". I make angular cuts with a threading tool that will capture a patch and not let the patch come off until the jag is removed from the bore. I then drill and tap it half the length for a #10-32 stainless steel screw that extends about 1/2" beyond the end of the jag and either Loc-Tite or silver solder it in. I never had one of these jags fail to do it's intended job. ;) :thumb:.Zug how much smaller do you make t
Zug how much smaller do you make jag than bore? I think I have some brass stock , thanks to all

Well I whitled one out, works good ? Put a little taper on it like Zug suggested

Attachments

• IMG_5421.jpeg
    IMG_5421.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5422.jpeg
    IMG_5422.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5423.jpeg
    IMG_5423.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Zug how much smaller do you make jag than bore? I think I have some brass stock , thanks to all
Normally it's around 0.030" at the large end then tapers down towards the small end. You have to try it with your patches but wet the patch first don't put a dry patch down the bore until you know that damp/wet patch/jag combination will slide down the bore with a little drag. Hope this helps.

Well I whitled one out, works good ? Put a little taper on it like Zug suggested
I would make some more angular cuts to the end of that jag otherwise it looks good from here. If you don't make more cuts to the end of the jag then the patch will bunch up where the solid section is and get stuck in the bore. If your patch/jag combo is too lose make your patch larger or get thicker patch material.

Last edited:
Need a 54 cal cleaning jag, is there any difference or is one better than another? Thanks
Get one that is longer , longer the better so you have ramrod sticking out the Muzzle to hold on to when the jag is down at the breech . The short " button " jags suck . A ring many times will develop where the charge goes off in the barrel., just in front of T.H. or drum , and the ramrod can stick a bit there ....good to have enough ramrod to get a good grip to pull it outta there ...

Back