• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chuck Box for camping

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silky921

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Recently read an article in the Backwoodsman about a chuck box and what their use is when camping. A good way to keep all the cooking and eating items in one place and is easy to transport. A kitchen on the go essentially. So I decided to make one for myself as I do a fair amount of camping.

It was my first time making something like that, so mistakes were made but I learned a ton. But I'm pretty pleased with the results. Should get plenty of miles out of it.

Attachments

• 20220203_171233.jpg
    20220203_171233.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 147
  • 20220203_175815.jpg
    20220203_175815.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 136
  • 20220203_175845.jpg
    20220203_175845.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 138
I've had a similar chuck box for about twenty years. It holds everything needed for camp cooking except food. All told it weighs loaded about thirty five or forty lbs. I put it in the bed or my truck and when stopped at a camp site it sits o the tailgate for use. Without it and my two burner small propane bottle stove I'd be lost. I don't primitive camp any more, my old bones need some comfort now and then.

As a kid, I recall one of my favorite toys was this covered wagon made about the right size for my "GI-Joe" toys. It was the chuck wagon, so at the back side there was a flip-down lid that essentially created a table top, and then it had an assortment of pretend pots and pans and such. For some reason that really captured my imagination. I could see how this would be very useful to the explorers gong westward.

This picture is not exactly the toy I had, but it's similar:
1643995631748.png

I guess we still do this sort of thing to this day, replacing the covered wagon with an F150, tailgate down, and chuck box handily located nearby.

Thanks Phil. It was really my first time making anything out of wood and I really enjoyed the process. Got some brain juices flowing and relieved some stress. Could see myself diving into a little more.

I love it!

I've recently been wanting to make a... well, two... no, many! wooden boxes for gathering & hauling various kits. Good to see your example.

I made mine with detachable legs
Phil, would it be possible to see a close up of your detachable legs? (For the table; don't mean to pry into your possible personal pegleg status. :) )

The rear leg goes in first and stops against the top rail then the front leg goes up against the back leg. Note the front leg is long to keep it from tipping. The metal loops are handy for handling or lashing it down in transport. The door/table has chains for support and can also allow leveling the table. The slats are screwed on to stiffen the boards that are all pegged edge to edge.
IMG_0837 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

Looks great, I think you did an outstanding job.

Sometime in the mid 80s, the USMC was doing away with the old field desk U.S. Field Desk Several of us got together and bought a couple (less than $15) at auction to modify into chuck wagon boxes. The lid is your desk/table top, and the field desk comes with several large drawers and a folding stool. Not period correct but they're great for hauling around in a truck, but heavy. Empty they take two to load.

Kent Rollins has a great tutorial of his 1870s Studebaker Chuck Wagon which has some good ideas on packing utensils and other gear in the chuck box. I've been watching his videos for years and he has some great camp recipes and is entertaining to watch.
Kent Rollins Chuck Wagon

But I'm pretty pleased with the results.
Yes, that's quite nice! I like how the handles on the front serve as legs for the opened front panel, to keep it level.
For the top, do the hinges keep the top open, or do you have something else to hold it open?
I'm fixing to need a chuck box, so this is a timely thread.
Thanks.

Great design elements!
Please show a few more photos. I may borrow your design. Or, properly, May I borrow your design?
I didn’t put in for a patent yet so have at it.:rolleyes: When it was first built it was longer and had a tall opening at the end for bigger things. I had to cut it down and reattach the end to make it fit in the Jeep better. Get out all the things that you are sure you can’t camp with out and figure how high and wide to make the shelf’s then you may not need to hack it later.

Just set it up so it's leaning backwards a little and a chain keeps it from falling falling all the way down.

Attachments

• 20220205_144917.jpg
    20220205_144917.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 33

Latest posts

Back