• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cheap caplock saftey

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't hunt, but I think using the half cocked position on a capped gun is probably safer than having the hammer down on a cap with something in between. You've still got to full cock it and, if you are worried about losing the cap, there are devices that you can affix to the nipple to keep it in place (where legal for hunting). Insofar as getting a shot off at easily spooked game, going from half cock to full would be quicker than having to take the extra step of removing the blocking device.

And why's everyone arguing over safeties, especially on most guns here that don't have them?

BTW, good point about that self-cocking Ruger. I always assumed that resting the hammer in between chambers was pretty much safe. Maybe a flap-style holster is in order.

For me, the ideal caplock safety is a 3/8" length of 9/32" rubber vacuum hose from the local autoparts store. Shoved down around the nipple, it prevents the hammer from hitting the cap, yet stays firmly in place with the hammer drawn and doesn't interfere with the cap.

While hunting I carry the rifle with hammer down on the end of the hose. I believe this helps seal the cap and the nipple end of the barrel against moisture.

The length of vacuum hose needed can vary a bit dependent on nipple height. Cut a piece about 3/8" long to start with and dry-fire the gun with the piece of hose over the nipple. If you hear a "clack", it wasn't long enough and the hammer is still contacting the nipple.

Vacuum hose was 99 cents a foot on my last visit to the parts store and a foot of hose will provide enough safeties/snap caps for several years. If you lose one, no big deal. Just carry a spare.

One of the reasons I favor caplocks is because this safety device is so simple, cheap, and effective.
FWIW

So, do you leave it on when going to full cock? Do you get positive ignition with nor fragments?

I usually deer hunt from either a tree stand or a blind. Normally, while waiting, the hammer is down on the hose-safety and it keeps the hammer from contacting the cap.

If I see a buck, I'll go to full cock but leave the hose-safety on the nipple. If he gets close enough to shoot, I can easily and quietly remove the piece of hose. It must be removed before shooting because, otherwise, the hammer will not contact the cap.

If I was on the move while hunting, I could go to full cock and the hose would stay in place as it fits the nipple snuggly and is mostly protected by the snail.

MY Eleventh Commandment of gun safety is:

"The only Safety on a gun that works is YOU."
:hmm:

Those mechanical devices used to protect gun makers from lawsuits, are no different than any other mechanical device: Use them, but Never rely on them. ALL mechanical devices CAN FAIL. :hmm: :hatsoff:

Paul and Jethro,
You two are very correct!!! Thank you! :bow:

AND Murphy's Law is always there when dealing with firearms!!!!! :thumbsup:
I have a belguim lock that I just polished up went out at the range one day when I just put the cap on, but resting on my thigh, pulled the hammer to full cock and ***BLAM***** it went off. The round went up and THANK THE GOOD LORD!!!! did not hear of a bullet hitting someone or a house the proceeding few days.

THE ONLY SAFETY is the person behind that trigger.
People will do what they want but I hope when I am in the woods that the 'other guy' is thinking about that safety issue.

I have a family to go home to.

Cheers, DonK

Unfortunately, safeties are designed to in fact add additional levels of safety because the there are NO perfect human beings and their shortcomings are exactly what contributes to "AD's".
In addition, the predictable failure of mechanics, and the inclusion of external factors make the operational use of a simple half cock position as "a safety" a manure shoot.

All of the above are why I won't trust the simple paper thin notch of a tumbler to 100% securely hold a hammer in place.
My guns will always have the added safety level of a physical blocking device that prevents the hammer from hitting a cap or frizzen.

Every body else can be all macho and wander around the woods on full cock and zero safety if they want to, but they'll never do it in my woods...LOL

Back