• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hammer blowback

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PghDad

32 Cal
Reaction score
I took the Mississippi Rifle out today. It's a 54 caliber Euroarms version, and the load was 70 grains of FF, .015 patch, and a .530 round ball. The load is a bit tight in the bore, but its accurate. I'm noticing that the hammer rebounds back to half-cock after each shot. Is this a problem?

It's a sign the nipple is worn out.
It's cause by "gas-cutting". Each shot is made with exploding gasses pushing the ball out right?. That same pressure is applied to the nipple, and of course the hammer holding down on the nipple,
,well each time a little hot gas escapes through that nipple hole, eventually that hole get's a little bigger and a little more gas escapes,, it's progressive.
When actively shooting the `vous circuit I noticed nipples being worn after about 400 shot's, easy to do when a weekend shoot would be 100-150 shots at each event. Cleaning methods also affect longevity.
Blow-back is common, and an easy fix, get a new nipple, 😇

My very first muzzleloader was a 54cal Renegade I built from a N.I.B, kit. With 70gr behind a maxi-ball it would put the hammer on half-cock right regular and with 90 or 100 grains would put it on full-cock. Being my very first muzzleloader and teaching myself/learning as I went, it was some time before I learned that this was not normal. LOL

The nipple is fairly new, but it does have a larger hole in it than the original. Was supposed to provide more sure ignition. Guess I'll change it back to the old one. Thanks!
Nipple is trash. Larger hole means poor ignition and accuracy. Reenactors often drill out a nipple for "better ignition" but they're also notorious for poor maintenance.

I would agree with the consensus regarding the enlarged flash hole. However, you could probably get by with less powder, unless you want the extra energy for a hunting load. If you are just doing recreational or target shooting, maybe try about 2 drams (approximately 55 grains) and see how you like it. Work up from there a few grains at a time.

You don’t need heavy loads for punching paper, or just a fun afternoon at the range.

The old Mississippi is a good rifle. Brewerton said it was “… the best rifle for crossing the plains.”

Notchy Bob

They will burn out much faster if you shoot conicals with heavy loads. My 50 tc started blowing to half cock with abot 35 shots with maxi balls. Coil spring locks are more easily blown back.

I would agree with the consensus regarding the enlarged flash hole. However, you could probably get by with less powder, unless you want the extra energy for a hunting load. If you are just doing recreational or target shooting, maybe try about 2 drams (approximately 55 grains) and see how you like it. Work up from there a few grains at a time.

You don’t need heavy loads for punching paper, or just a fun afternoon at the range.

The old Mississippi is a good rifle. Brewerton said it was “… the best rifle for crossing the plains.”

Notchy Bob
It's a hunting load. I'm using it for PA's opening day of deer.
It really is a great rifle, on that list of guns I would never sell.

Back