• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Caps, Then and Now?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norinco

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I remember hearing a while back that percussion caps were much more sensitive back then (19th century) due to the different compounds they used. I think back then they used fulminate of mercury or lead azide, with no need for a frictionizer. Anyone got knowledge on this issue?

Thanks

I've only read of mercury fulminate being used all down through history, but that may just be the author's generalization.

I have read that during the early days of cap use, the brass used tended to be too thick and caused some injuries due to blowing apart and turning into shrappnel. Thinner foil was tried with success, giving us what we have today. Bill

What's the compound used in modern caps? They are advertised as noncorrosive, so I would assume whatever is used in modern, American, centerfire primers.

Back