• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Caplock usage in South

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like it doesn't it?
Ah, them Flinters.

Then again, I don't remember a time that we had a major boo-ha about whether it is best to wrap our caps in leather or lead over here on the Percussion Forum.
Come to think about it, I don't remember that anyone ever got into a big argument here about whether to install the cap open end up or open end down either.
:rotf: :hmm:

Open end down????

Oooh, I think I just figured out why....

Never mind.

Zonie,

OK I get it! Gee you can't believe the time i've had keeping that balanced on there and still sight in on a target.

Jay

Dang it! I knew that thar wuz a better way to get them thar Cussion' guns ta go off than that thar flint & steel :surrender: Never can seem to get em' sparks in that thar lil' o' hole :youcrazy:

:rotf: You guys are killing me. I'm still going to built a southern mt. rifle in caplock. I just ordered a Siler Mountain lock from TOW. It may take me five years to purchase all the peices but I'll get it done. If I don't lose my job as a result of this lousy economy.

Well you would have more time to work on that rifle. :) Not having a job is not as bad as you think, the only thing I miss is my weekends. :hmm:

ranger said:
Many Klatch,

That's my opinion also. I am a amatuer Texian historian and have really studied hard, put many hours into numerous tomes and conversation with others more knowledgeable. The flint weapon was not gone but decidedly on it's way to obsolesence by 1836.

Jay

Santa Anna's boys over ran the Alamo in 1836. I always had the impression that flintlocks were the common firearm there, and that the majority of defenders carried a Southern Mountain style rifle.
Any idea what the ratio of flintlocks to caplocks were at the Alamo?

My Dad says since he retired he dosen't have any days off. :shocked2: I guess the rifle I'm building is more of a poor boys rifle than anything. I will buy the lock, stock, barrel and triggers and make the rest of the iron furniture myself. I may purchase a buttplate and modify it for my use. I've had shoulder surgery on my right side and those cresent shaped buttplates don't feel very good on those pins and screws in my shoulder. My last rifle build has a early wide flat style buttplate that is very comfortable. It may not be strictly in style for a southern mt. rifle but I built it for myself. :thumbsup:

Rancocas,

Flinters were probably in the majority. Heck they were probably using a bunch of stacked up brown besses they had found in Bejar when Genrl. Cos was ran out. There is strong evidence for caplock weapon useage though. Southern Mountain rifles whether flint or converted caplock (mainly flint) had to have been there. Look at where the majority of the men who volunteered hailed from. Sure enough.

Jay

I look at those sharp curves on some muzzleloaders and hear posters say you put them on your upper arm and I know the first time I ever shoot at game when time is short i'm going to throw that gun up like a shotgun and have to deal with those sharp points after the shot.

I just do not feel like I could ever get used to them, man they have hurt written all over them.

Fine: Replace them with a shotgun style buttplate, and shoot them off your shoulder's pocket. I don't see the problem. Its your gun. Make it fit you. The only gun that I would hesitate to change is one that is an original that has collector value far beyond the cost of the gun. That one I would leave alone. :hatsoff:

:doh: Help! I can't remember when the battle of the Alamo took place. I've been there when I was stationed at Ft. Sam Houston. Its very nice but kind of weird with it surrounded by tall buildins in the middle of the city.

Back