• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.457 projectiles .458

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

as

32 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Good Day everyone
I have a percussion cap 1863 sharps. N

I am unable to sage the barrel to see what the measurement on round would be. I see that some people are shooting .45 8.459 and these spare rifles with a .457 appropriate. Thanks.

Thanks everyone.

Do you have any bullets now? If so you could drop one in the chamber and shove it foreward with a short starter. If it fits the throat you're good. If it's too big to go, you'll need to size it. Push it out with a ramrod and see if you have any rifling marks. Doing this with several different size bullets will give you a good idea of the throat size without having to do a chamber cast. Looking into the back of the barrel to see how much throat it has will also tell you a lot of good information.

Good Day everyone

I am unable to sage the barrel to see what the measurement on round would be. I see that some people are shooting .45 8.459 and these spare rifles with a .457 appropriate. Thanks.

Thanks everyone.
I’m just guessing but I would suspect it has a bore measurement of .450”/.458” the .458 or .459 bullets should be fine. Once you boot them in the butt with a healthy charge of blackpowder they will assume the shape and dimensions of the bore.

Good Day everyone

Thanks everyone.

Do you have any bullets now? If so you could drop one in the chamber and shove it foreward with a short starter. If it fits the throat you're good. If it's too big to go, you'll need to size it. Push it out with a ramrod and see if you have any rifling marks. Doing this with several different size bullets will give you a good idea of the throat size without having to do a chamber cast. Looking into the back of the barrel to see how much throat it has will also tell you a lot of good information.
I o not have any bullets at this time. it's been tough to find .45 as as everyone is all sold out. I know my throat depth is about 14.3 mm length but that of course is not the diameter.

Thank you for the reply. I'll continue my search for different size bullets.

I’m just guessing but I would suspect it has a bore measurement of .450”/.458” the .458 or .459 bullets should be fine. Once you boot them in the butt with a healthy charge of blackpowder they will assume the shape and dimensions of the bore.
thank you that was my hope. Trying to find a good lead cast bullet available is .458 to.459 .Buffalo store seems to be consistently out of them

thank you that was my hope. Trying to find a good lead cast bullet available is .458 to.459 .Buffalo store seems to be consistently out of them
I find it hard to believe you can’t find cast bullets in .458-.459. It’s the same as 45-70. I’ll post up some links for you in 5 min.

Back