• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cap & ball revolver to smaller caliber

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone lined a open top barrel and cylinder to a smaller caliber? I can ream barrel and cylinder chambers to clean up rust. Turn a barrel blank to make liner for barrel and to make inserts for cylinder chambers. Have lined muzzleloader and modern rifle and shotgun barrels in different gauges and calibers with no problems. Was thinking someone on this forum posted photos of one?

Has anyone lined a open top barrel and cylinder to a smaller caliber? I can ream barrel and cylinder chambers to clean up rust. Turn a barrel blank to make liner for barrel and to make inserts for cylinder chambers. Have lined muzzleloader and modern rifle and shotgun barrels in different gauges and calibers with no problems. Was thinking someone on this forum posted photos of one?

Why not just buy a new gun? They are not expensive, and it would be a whole lot less trouble

Years ago, Hoppy at H&H barrel works was rebarreling emington Reproductions. I don't know if he made them smaller calibers or not. There was a guy that altered Ruger old armies to 36 or 38 cal for target shooters. A great many bizarre things have been done to Cap and ball revolvers. Even saw one, I believe an 1851 Colt that had an alternate barrel attachment that had been lined with the barrel coming all the way back for the hammer to strike a nipple in the breech as a single shot. As I recall the guy also had a rim fir cartridge barrel attachment for the thing, but frankly taking the gun apart to reload a single cartridge seems self defeating.

Reason for asking is found one that was shot and left without cleaning. Brass frame, only barrel and cylinder is in bad shape. Was thinking it would be a good project gun. Somewhere photos was posted of a cap & ball revolver that had barrel lined and cylinder chambers sleeved? I shoot single buck shot in a .32 mule ear percussion. Thought about lining revolver to smaller caliber for plinking. It could just be reamed to a much larger smooth bore or kept for parts. Got it really cheap as a parts gun. A large bag of small buckshot is cheap plinking. Caps are most expensive part of shooting. I have several really good 44's in open top and Remington style. Dont really need another 44 or 36, a smaller caliber for plinking would be interesting to play with. I'm retired so time involved on lathe etc is not a issue. Projects keep old men out of trouble and Wal-Mart and the little lady's way. Noticed if she is not looking at me doesnt come up with as many honey do projects that honey doesnt really want to do. Like digging and moving flowers and shrubs around this time of year.

That sounds like a fun project and in .32 a brass frame would last forever. As I said before it sounded like a project you could handle and you have the equipment and time so why not. Be sure to post the results here as we will be waiting. Consider a section of air rifle barrel and shoot .22 pellets. I had a Walther barrel one time and was considering a single shot project but a friend talked me out of the barrel, impressive rifling.

Maybe get a chunk of Redmans or TJ barrel liner sold by the inch. Line the barrel and ream short sections for the cylinder. I seen a CF revolver last gun show that was done that way.
Do a .25 caliber

Will probably do barrel with blank that is .311 for 32 caliber modern handgun caliber. Have several blanks and short sections to sleeve cylinder. Already shoot buckshot that will fit. Curious what lightest powder charge would work. Mike that owns TJ's makes excellent liners. Have used in blackpowder and modern.

A 30 or 31 to match your rifle sounds like just the ticket. Same balls and a small powder charge. It would be just the ticket for rabbits and squirrels.

I have a rusted barrel Rogers & Spencer. If I had the equipment and skills a caliber to match either my 32 or 36 rifle sounds like just the ticket for the squirrel and rabbit hunts.

This project ended when friend played with as smooth bore shooting #12 shot. Wanted for rats in barn, storage buildings etc. So I'm out the gun, powder, couple pounds #12 shot and caps. Probably never get wad/card cutter back. Fun watching another old fart playing with black powder. Well worth it. I'll find another project gun. Thanks for all replys

Back