• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Canola oil lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Rickard

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I had forgotten my BP solvent that I nomally use for lube in my .20 flint fowler, so I picked up some canola oil on the way to the range.
I used two nitro cards with a liberal supply of oil dribbled in between. The gun stayed serviceable for about 30+ rounds of shot and bare ball loaded between cards. When I swabbed it out with patches moistened with water, the fouling was soft and the leading came out in chunks on the cleaning patches. When I got home I mixed some oil with TOTW Black powder bore cleaning solvent. Can't wait to give it a try.

never tryed canola, have tryed veggie shortening for patch lube, worked well but I found my favorite by chance, Go-Jo white hand cleaner, works for me.

65 grains FFg, two nitro cards with oil between, one once of shot and two thin over-shot cards.
This week I tried oil/black powder solvent from TOTW, mixed about 4 to 1.. I like it too.

Back