• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cannot find Black Powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fair enough, are you allowed to point me to a good source of information for it?
I don't think that's permitted either. Suffice it to say that I learned quite a bit from YouTube university and other internet sources. So how's that for reliable? There's some manure out there but there's a lot of good stuff too. Take it for what it's worth & decide for yourself if it's worth the pursuit.

I don't think that's permitted either. Suffice it to say that I learned quite a bit from YouTube university and other internet sources. So how's that for reliable? There's some manure out there but there's a lot of good stuff too. Take it for what it's worth & decide for yourself if it's worth the pursuit.
Will do, thanks for the advice!

Ok so I have a problem. There is nowhere near me I can find Black Powder, the closest is a 5 hour drive each way and they only have swiss 1.5Fg in stock...I know there is a big to do about Black Powder Substitutes but the only stuff that is readily available near me is Pyrodex or Triple Seven.

Now I need to know simply is there any way of making this work? WITHOUT the usual comments of adding a little BP to the charge and pan has anyone had any success or little tricks?
Not a problem. T7 in Lyman Flintlock using BP in pan.

Like the man said, depends on the firearm.

My Pedersorry Charleville hated T7.

I could read War and Peace in between the trigger being pulled and the ball discharging.

I have a limited stock of real BP. I really don't need to buy more. To make it go further and last longer, I use duplex loads of BP and Pyrodex. 35 grains of real 2F BP down the tube first, then 35 grains of Pyrodex Select on top of that. (Select is 2F size) That is for my .54. For the 40 caliber is 30 grains of each in a duplex load. and I use the 3F or the 'P' grade of pyrodex. Duplex loads will work in any flinter and will work with any substitute powder and help you stretch what real BP you have.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Five hour drive? Why not get with a few shooting friends and buy a case or two among you. That would make a five hour drive worth it.
We forget we are a relatively small and scattered group. Some of us ( but I am sure a larger percentage concentrated within this forum) are lucky enough/choose to be in groups /clubs that make things much easier. In some areas, there are few shooters, and I am sure the majority of BP shooters are individuals who do not belong to shooting groups/clubs, jsut want to enjoy the sport at thier own pace on thier own.

We forget we are a relatively small and scattered group. Some of us ( but I am sure a larger percentage concentrated within this forum) are lucky enough/choose to be in groups /clubs that make things much easier. In some areas, there are few shooters, and I am sure the majority of BP shooters are individuals who do not belong to shooting groups/clubs, jsut want to enjoy the sport at thier own pace on thier own.
To add to this the places, we used to frequent for supplies are disappearing at an alarming rate. I used to have over a dozen close by that sold BP supplies. Nowadays there is one family-owned shop in a county south of me and a Cabela's just over an hour away. The 4 other shops still in business stopped handling BP entirely.

I have a limited stock of real BP. I really don't need to buy more. To make it go further and last longer, I use duplex loads of BP and Pyrodex. 35 grains of real 2F BP down the tube first, then 35 grains of Pyrodex Select on top of that. (Select is 2F size) That is for my .54. For the 40 caliber is 30 grains of each in a duplex load. and I use the 3F or the 'P' grade of pyrodex. Duplex loads will work in any flinter and will work with any substitute powder and help you stretch what real BP you have.
Ohio Rusty ><>
I'm going to have to give this a try. Right now, it would be quite easy to lay in a supply of Pyrodex. Wouldn't be any more of a hassle as I already carry either two flasks or a flask and premeasured charges.
I've assembled all the ingredients and supplies to make my own but have found the time constraints with my job and other commitments to be in the way of actually getting any made let alone finding time to have any fun.

I remember back in the day when a friend had a M/L shop, no problem keeping B/P, then the rules started changing. The last time I was down at his place about 20 years ago, he had to build a specialized storage shed for his stock of B/P a specified number of feet back behind his shop. I am pretty sure he had to have a metal locker for his stock as well.

Later in life he was consumed by so many painful incurable afflictions that he walked off behind his B/P storage shed and ate a bullet.

I remember back in the day when a friend had a M/L shop, no problem keeping B/P, then the rules started changing. The last time I was down at his place about 20 years ago, he had to build a specialized storage shed for his stock of B/P a specified number of feet back behind his shop. I am pretty sure he had to have a metal locker for his stock as well.

Later in life he was consumed by so many painful incurable afflictions that he walked off behind his B/P storage shed and ate a bullet.
I know a few that chose to go out like men.

Duplex loads work fine. I would only use 10 gr real black when I used to do it and it worked just fine. Will save you a bunch vs 35 grains. Now I order like most and have it delivered and am in the pocess of gathering materials to try my hand at........well you know. Need a few more 25% off coupons for my press and tumbler.

Ok so I have a problem. There is nowhere near me I can find Black Powder, the closest is a 5 hour drive each way and they only have swiss 1.5Fg in stock...I know there is a big to do about Black Powder Substitutes but the only stuff that is readily available near me is Pyrodex or Triple Seven.

Now I need to know simply is there any way of making this work? WITHOUT the usual comments of adding a little BP to the charge and pan has anyone had any success or little tricks?
Where you live ?

Back