• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cabelas Rocky Mountain Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harbor2

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hello to all, blackpowder my favorite way of slinging lead. I haven't had a muzzle loader in years but maybe that will change. I do shoot a sharps with the black. Its a keeper. Does anyone have any information about the Rocky Mnt Hawken sold by Cabelas? Pedersouli builds it. Thanks for any replies.

John

John,
I have 3 Hawkens from Cabelas by Investarms
that I have never had a problem with that was not
my fault.Although I do not own a Pedersouli,I do
know they are a bit pricier than the Investarms,
but,from what I have heard and read, they are worth it. M2C
snake-eyes :hmm:
BTW
Welcome to the MLF!

Once you decide you want to spend that kind of money, you should probably look in to having a custom rifle built. There are a few affordable shops out there. I ordered an Early Virginia Rifle from Tennesee Valley Muzzleloaders for only $950.
I think the rifle you're talking about is a good looking rifle, though. Complaints about Pedersoli have been few. I own a Pedersoli and it's been great.

I just can't see spending that kind of money on a production rifle. $1099.00 regular price and $999.99 on sale. You can almost buy a Lyman GPR and a semi-custom rifle for that price. I have a Pedersoli .45 Blue Ridge flinter that is very nice. A few years ago, Pedersolis took an extreme jump in price. Right then and there, I decided my next new rifle was going to be a nice custom jobber. Why not, same price range.

John,

Mine is from Pedersoli and was in the first shipment to the U.S.

Fit and finish is excellent, nice flame colors on the hammer, lock and butt plate.

I really like the German silver front sight, it really stands out, espcially in low light conditions.

Accuracy, off the bench, at 75 yards with 80 grains 2F, .530 ball and .015 teflon patch, it shoots 1" high with a dead on hold and all the balls touch each other. I figured that is about right for hunting to 100 yards.

To me the walnut stock should have a bit more figure for the price, my Tryon has a lot more figure. The stock has a little more drop than I like, but I have adjusted to it.

Would I buy one if I did not have one, yes.

RDE

That's the first range report I've heard on this rifle. It sounds like a great shooter!

----you can get a Pedersoli now where a custom is going to be a year or better---depends if you want it now or later-----

bangbang002.jpg

bangbang007.jpg

Pic017.jpg

Pic020.jpg

Pic021.jpg

If you get one I suggest getting it in Maple, it looks awesome. The shot groups tightened up when I went to pillow ticking, but I don't have pics of those yet.

Very happy with this gun and wouldn't hesitate to recomend it.

OBTW, got a little backwards when writing gFF, supposed to be FFg.

Try reducing that powder charge a bit, to tighten up those 50 yd. groups. 70 or 80 grains of FFg will probably produce better groups. How are those patches surviving? Any burning, or shredding, or holes in the spent patch, or can you use them again?

A custom Hawken would be much more than that. Heck a Don Stith parts kit is any where from 650 -750. Same thing with a TOTW kit and a Hawken shop kit is 1100. So if the gun is well made its probably worth it.

In all honesty, I have to ask a couple of questions:

1. Why buy a APedersoli Do you think
the company will last longer than a personal
builder to take care of problems in the
future? I do.

2. Is a person better off with a custom builder
who could die this or the next year? Huh?

3. If I was so smart, I would not ask this.

Pondering, how is a person best to invest their money?

I have several custom built BP firearms, when the builders are gone, who can make parts? I am buying parts up as I can from the builders, as they will let them go.

RDE

Buy American, keep Americans working. I would rather pay twice the price and have American than think that my money was going to support anyone in Europe.

You know, if you want nice clean bright high quality oats, they come at a fair price. If you are satisfied with those that have already been through the horse, then they come cheaper.

Richard: Most gunbuilders today use parts manufacturered by other commercial suppliers. Finding parts for the gun after the gunmaker dies is not as difficult today as it might be with a 18th or 19th century original build. I do think its smart to buy extra main and frizzen springs, an extra frizzen, maybe an extra tumbler for a lock and hold onto them " just in case". If you have a truly custom made gun, from hand made parts, and you didn't think to ask the maker to provide you with extra springs, etc. you might have to find one of the rare gunsmiths who actually knows how to make springs. The trick is to remember to ask him to make you a couple of extras of whatever he does make for you. The labor costs are going to be the big cost, and once he makes one part to correct size, it takes much less time to make another.

MY problem with buying guns made in Europe is that its next to impossible to get parts from the company, and, of course, its not helping the American economy to be sending our dollars overseas.

I encourage friends to "Buy American", whenever they can. I make that a personal habit with everything I buy. Sometimes, I am left with no choice, and when that happens, I let the store managers know my displeasure. They may think I am just some old Curmudgeon, but at least they know oone customer is not happy with the fact that they stock only good imported from China, or India, or someplace else. Overseas gunmakers don't pay the Pittman Robertson Excise taxes that are imposed on Domestic Gun manufacturers, making American companies less able to compete, and screwing up our balance of payments overseas.

Buy American, keep Americans working.

I agree, no problem, no argument.

I simply answered the person's question which he asked on the rifle in question. Is there a problem in answering a person's questions?

To me the perfect rifle is:

1. Old T/C Hawkewn Stock, 15/16"
2. Old T/C Lock with some minor modiifications.
3. Davis Triggers
4. Vintage Green Mountain barrel, 45 cal barrel,
1/66" twist, dull finish.
5. T/C Contender Silouhuette sights
6. Lyman Globe Front Sight
6. Weighed balls
7. Teflon patches

Proven Winner in National Matches!!!!

The above is for paper, not hunting.

Why attack me when I only answsered the persons question?

Please take a happy pill.

RDE

Mr. Paul.

In the "most" part you are correct on the gunbuilders today.

Recently I have been buying guns only made by true Texas craftsman, who only make their own parts and have their custom forged parts made to their specificatiions.

You might wander to Texas to visit with some of the true craftsman here. You might ask rabbit03 about Bob Mims, Wade Ingrham, Alex from Ten Ring. These gentleman build their own guns and do not buy parts from TOW or other parts places of the U.S.

There are 3 gunsmiths in the U.S. who are qualified to work on the old Colts, mine is one, is yours?

Richard: I was never " unhappy". I just wondered why you listed your post as a response to me? All I said in my first post here was to suggest a reduction of the powder based on seeing his targets, and the POI he notes there for each of his balls. Then I asked if he was seeing burned or torn patches with that load, or could he use them again?

Then here you come reading me the riot act. How about we agree that we both are okay, and stop this? You asked about getting parts for a custom made gun, and I commented about the problems buying an import gun. I then made some suggestions for all gun owners, based on the experiences I have had over the years with my guns.

I certainly was not, and am not angry at you. :grin:

As to the last remark, is this one of those " My Porsche's finish is shinier than your BMW's? I can't answer the question about my gunsmith, as I don't know if he is even interested in working on Colts. I don't believe that such is some kind of " gold standard" for gunsmiths, WADR to your friends. Did GOD add an Eleventh Commandment to the tablets when I wasn't looking? :grin:

In response to Paul, the .015 patches were getting torn up pretty good. No burn through but definatly getting cut pretty good. The pillow ticking is holding up much better. First 30 or so with the pillow ticking still got cut but now they come out with only a light brown spot where the ball was sitting.

Crazy thing is when I bumped my wife's pedersoli PA gun in .50 cal from 50 grs up to 70 grs it started destroying the patches. They were completely chared and torn to small pieces. But she was still shooting groups that were touching.

IMO, pedersoli leaves their bores a bit rough but when they start getting broken in they become really good shooters.

Richard Eames said:
Buy American, keep Americans working.

I agree, no problem, no argument.

I simply answered the person's question which he asked on the rifle in question. Is there a problem in answering a person's questions?

To me the perfect rifle is:

1. Old T/C Hawkewn Stock, 15/16"
2. Old T/C Lock with some minor modiifications.
3. Davis Triggers
4. Vintage Green Mountain barrel, 45 cal barrel,
1/66" twist, dull finish.
5. T/C Contender Silouhuette sights
6. Lyman Globe Front Sight
6. Weighed balls
7. Teflon patches

Proven Winner in National Matches!!!!

The above is for paper, not hunting.

Why attack me when I only answsered the persons question?

Please take a happy pill.

RDE

This is somewhat unique: the owner of several custom rifles who recommends buying an off the rack import and whose perfect rifle contains a number of off the shelf T/C parts.

Should a custom rifle need repair and parts aren't available, they can be made easily enough. We are talking about a fairly simple mechanism here, not a Ferrari racing engine. I have well used rifles over forty years old and they have yet to suffer a parts failure, so this isn't much of a worry in any case.

There are only three gunsmiths left in th U.S.A. who are qualified to work on old Colts? I'm truly saddened to hear this as I had not heard that all the others had died recently. Since they probably don't make many Hawkens, I'm not sure what this has to do with this thread in any case.

Buying American is definitely best, particularly in these troubled times. And a custom rifle is on a level far above a production gun and well worth the wait. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back