• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bullet Trap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8905c

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone know of on-line plans for a bullet trap? With the price of lead skyrocketing, I would like to explore the possibility of making myself a bullet trap to use when shooting my ML as well as modern cartridge guns.
Any info greatly appreciated.
8905c

8905c said:
Does anyone know of on-line plans for a bullet trap? With the price of lead skyrocketing, I would like to explore the possibility of making myself a bullet trap to use when shooting my ML as well as modern cartridge guns. Any info greatly appreciated.
8905c
One simple way is to just use 5 gallon buckets of sand for the ML's (probably work with modern too).
Ley them on their side and shoot into them longways...when done, pour the sand out through a box screen and there's your lead.
Refill it with sand and tape a fresh piece of inner tube rubber & cardboad across the end for the next range trip.

Years ago, when I was young, the Detroit Bullet Trap company produced a fine set of bullet traps, but the one for rifle ammo was Heavy, and HUGE. You would need a forklift to move it, and a bank loan to buy it! MY father bought a smaller model to use in the basement for target shooting, and for testing rounds. It produced a lot of dust, but it caught the lead, which he used for casting pistol bullets.

The company is out of business. I don't know of any company that is making these small, consumer model bullet traps anymore.

What Roundball describes is the cheapest backstop to catch bullets that you can find. Plastic 5 gal. buckets are available from painters, and construction sites, by the dozens. I suspect recycling centers would also be a source. By putting a top on them, taped in place with that ubiquitous Duct Tape, you can save a bucket, and the sand you use, and after screening out the bullets, and lead fragments, use them again. Just put another piece of cardboard on top of the bucket. Tilt the bucket on its side to avoid putting holes in the sides of the bucket.

This is a very good, and inexpensive means to recover lead, and it really doesn't get any cheaper than that. I have done my share of digging up backstops made of dirt toget the lead. I even had to once rake through the ashes of our burned down railroad backstop at the club to pull all the melted lead balls and bullets out of the ashes. The land owner's tenant had decided to burn weeds on the back slope of our backstop, without giving any consideration to the fact he would be setting fire to our Heavy to lift, and hard to get Railroad ties. I helped built that backstop, over a couple of years, as we were able to locate more ties to use. The Tenant farmer was very fortunate to not come around the property for at least a year after that stunt. We built a new backstop, but it still was hard work-- the kind of hard work that makes you lose your sense of humor about jerks with matches. :cursing: :thumbsup:

There was a time when you only saw those plastic buckets occasionally, but now, it seems that almost everything can be purchased in bulk in those containers. Might as well make use of them. I remember guys spending real money to buy those buckets with a plywood top and a cushion to use to sit on when hunting dove. The ones that were painted " camo" cost extra! :shocked2: :youcrazy: :rotf: :rotf: :thumbsup:

8905c said:
Does anyone know of on-line plans for a bullet trap? With the price of lead skyrocketing, I would like to explore the possibility of making myself a bullet trap to use when shooting my ML as well as modern cartridge guns.
Any info greatly appreciated.
8905c

Here is another thread from a few weeks ago on bullet traps, along with photos of the R2B2 trap. Different from what I think RoundBall is describing here, we just stand them up normally and shoot. 58 cal RBs on top of 110 grains of FF don't even penetrate half way through. In just a few range sessions I've recovered well over 10 pounds of lead.

I built one out of an old safe found in a recycling center it was 9/17 inches with a steel placed at a 45 degree angle held in by wood. I placed 2 inches of sand in the bottom to stop the bullets. It stopped the bullets but they splattered into fragments when hitting the plate. I intend to try the square bucket with sand and an inner tube. I think this way you get a more solid mass of lead, not just Fines of lead left over to be sifted through.

With lead dust from " splatter " boxes, you often need to use a sluice box to sort the lead from the sand. Then you have to dry the lead out well, before melting. Its not as hard as it sounds. If you protect the drain from the sluice box with a screen in which you also put coffee filters. or cheesecloth, you will keep lead out of the sewer system, too. The lead dust will precipitate to the bottom of the sluice, separating from the lighter sands.

The worry about polluting the environment is rather disingenuous, BTW. Almost every where in this country, you find either Iron or Calcium deposits in the soils, and both quickly and easily combine with lead to form harmless oxides that coat the lead, preventing lead " pollution ". There are Lead mines In N. Illinois( Galena ) and at St. Louis where the ground water works into the Mississippi. No reports of dangerous levels of lead pollution occurring from these "natural" sources is reported downriver.

With the Detroit Bullet Trap, there were lots of dust sized particles of lead. We could, and did empty the trap out, and didn't worry about the bits of target paper that might be in the mix. It burned up as the lead was heated. If we got grit from any target, ( Plastic, glass light bulbs, etc.) whatever didn't burn was skimmed off the top of the pot as dross. We did use a wet rag to wipe down the bullet trap of all the lead dust, so that it would not get all over our hands, and clothes.

Before we had the trap, we built a wooden box to fill with coarse sand, and faced it with paper, and then wood. All bullets recovered were pretty much in tact, and most of the dust produces was particles of sand. Before the "Sand Box", we shot .22s into a large wooden pallet, and also recovered those bullets fairly whole. However, recovering bullets from wood meant destroying the wood in the process. Sand, newspaper, and Masonite, we had, to rebuilt the " sand box ". A ready supply of those pallets we didn't.

If we had had plastic 5 gal. buckets then, we would have used that. We might never have bought the Detroit Bullet Trap.

Steel angled plates for backstops need to be outdoors, unless you can also afford a huge air conditioning system to filter out the lead dust from the air. I have shot at indoor ranges that USED TO have angled plates and sand at the bottom to catch the lead, but most won't pass EPA standards anymore.

For your information, Caswell makes a "Snail " metal backstop that simply deflects bullets and send them into a corkscrew pipe arrangement that slows them down until they are dropped out of the bottom to a collection pit. It works very well with all velocities and types of bullets. But, its also very expensive. The NRA has such a system at its headquarters in Fairfax, Virginia, in its indoor range. The range is open to members.

I know of no more simple, and cheap way to recover your lead balls and bullets than the method Roundball describes. Considering how well it stops even high power rifle bullets, you hardly can go wrong. For safety, always make sure there is some kind of earthen mound BEHIND the bucket, just in case someone Misses the bucket! :shocked2: :blah: :rotf: :thumbsup:

my last trip to the recycling center I saw no fewer than 6 buckets in the containers bin. brown bear used a square kitty litter bucket to have a flat target mounting surface, and 4 sides to shoot up. THey have 2 sided oval shaped kitty litter buckets that offer more surface area so when you are working out the ideal load with the plains pistol at 30 yards you don't loose your precious lead.

I seem to have the local corner on square buckets, mostly because we're the only ones around with a cat. My hunting pards all use round buckets. The only small hassle with them is a shot toward the edge. Too far off center, as in within an inch or two of the edge as you're looking at the target, and there's a chance the ball will veer back out of the bucket or only slice the side. If you're a better shot than me, that's not an issue.

Speaking of which, where can I get some really BIG square buckets? :wink:

Actually not a prob out to 50 yards, and even further I don't think I'd have much trouble though the square buckets do start looking pretty small way out there.

BrownBear said:
My hunting pards all use round buckets. The only small hassle with them is a shot toward the edge. Too far off center, as in within an inch or two of the edge as you're looking at the target, and there's a chance the ball will veer back out of the bucket or only slice the side.
That was my reason for having the bucket laying down, shooting into it long ways

Roundball that makes good sense to me since many places often save buckets but pitch the lids, like construction sites where the drywallers are working you can find a ton of lids, or a grocery store that has a bakery has a ton of buckets that the frosting comes in. Now in Alaska how far are you from a town far I would imagine? Sam's club sells the kitty litter in the oval containers.

Thanks guys for all of the responses.
Looks like a bucket filled with sand is the best way to go from a number of perspectives.
What a great forum!
8905c

-----buckets fall off of trucks and are always lying along the roads-whenever I want one-----

Back