• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Minimum requirement for casting bullets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just purchased some bullet molds from a member, haven't got them yet, but I want to know what is the cheapest way for me to cast them with the minimum investment? I have never cast anything and even when I do it will just be a few here and there as I don't shoot a whole lot. I just wanted to try it out and make some paper cartridges with bullets instead of round ball.

Minimum a spoon to dip lead,and a small pot to melt lead,a heat source to melt lead. You probably already have everything. Don't reuse pot or spoon,keep them as casting only.
You can add bits as you go,a proper lead ladle,a thermometer,a electric pot and on and on or just stay with minimum.

I just purchased some bullet molds from a member, haven't got them yet, but I want to know what is the cheapest way for me to cast them with the minimum investment? I have never cast anything and even when I do it will just be a few here and there as I don't shoot a whole lot. I just wanted to try it out and make some paper cartridges with bullets instead of round ball.
I want to mention one safety item do not even get one drop of water or sweat in that lead pot or it will ruin your day and possibly your life it will explode violently I'm not trying to scare you just don't want you to get yourself in trouble. Lyman makes a casting book I recommend you get at least one or two books and read up a bit.

IMG_0799.jpeg

I got one of these. Makes life a lot easier.

I too started with a Coleman camp stove, a steel sauce pan, a table spoon and a mold. I always wear glasses, gloves, long pants, long sleeve shirt and leather shoes. Don’t wear man made fiber clothes. That stuff melts and sticks to skin. I forgot to mention a hammer handle or piece of wood to tap open the sprue cutter on the mold. It isn’t hard and I find it fun to make my own projectiles.

All of the above and if you need to clean "flux" the lead a box of borax works well if the lead is very dirty. An old wax candle works too.

So what do you guys think of these 2? Advantage of each/ disadvantage? Either seems like a good deal. Will be mostly doing roundball and conical for revolvers.
I heard the spouts often leak. Have they fixed this problem?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231002_081104_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20231002_081104_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    483.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20231002_081023_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20231002_081023_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    560.6 KB · Views: 0
So what do you guys think of these 2? Advantage of each/ disadvantage? Either seems like a good deal. Will be mostly doing roundball and conical for revolvers.
I heard the spouts often leak. Have they fixed this problem?
I do at a fire a lot, but when I use a furnace I use the top dip, and not a pour at the bottom. It’s easy to run a hundred ball in an hour

I have both lee furnaces, I use the top dip to melt lead that might be a little dirty and put it in to pucks. Been using the bottom pore for a couple of decades and never had a problem, keep only clean lead that I know is clean in it. Just molded about 100 .36 maxis last month, took longer to set things up than molding.

Latest posts

Back