• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Minimum requirement for casting bullets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what do you guys think of these 2? Advantage of each/ disadvantage? Either seems like a good deal. Will be mostly doing roundball and conical for revolvers.
I heard the spouts often leak. Have they fixed this problem?
I have the bottom pore on the left. Works great if you only use clean lead in it. Leave it full when done else the pot will rust. I clean my lead in a cast iron pot on a Coleman stove then pore ingots in an old muffin pan.

About as simple as it gets, been doing it this was since the '70s..

IMG_0255 5.JPG

IMG_0253.JPG

I have the bottom pore on the left. Works great if you only use clean lead in it. Leave it full when done else the pot will rust. I clean my lead in a cast iron pot on a Coleman stove then pore ingots in an old muffin pan.
I have a bottom pour also the only problem I have had with it is using dirty lead. It will cause the stopper to not drop down properly. I also keep a PC of wire handy to unclog the spout if that happens

I have a bottom pour also the only problem I have had with it is using dirty lead. It will cause the stopper to not drop down properly. I also keep a PC of wire handy to unclog the spout if that happens
I had the same problem so I always flux my lead in a separate pot. I haven't had it clog working this way.

Everything came together today. The first casting. All of them aren't perfect, but I am pleased with the results. I got the eras gone molds in 44 and 36 from a member. Got the lee pot, ladle and lead from Amazon. I'm guessing the lead is a little dirty based on how much skimming I had to do. Does all this trash seem normal? So much for minimum requirements.

Chambers in my new to me, unfired 1988 remington new model navy measure .3745

Attachments

• 20231005_200949.jpg
    20231005_200949.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231005_203143.jpg
    20231005_203143.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231005_203135.jpg
    20231005_203135.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20231005_201809_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231005_201809_Gallery.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231005_225053.jpg
    20231005_225053.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231005_225112.jpg
    20231005_225112.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231005_225408.jpg
    20231005_225408.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231005_230846.jpg
    20231005_230846.jpg
    867.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
My ”melting pot” can hold 160 lbs of lead…. 😀👍 …. I highly recommend some leather gloves and a clear face shield ….and don’t pour into cold molds - pre-heat them.

”Dross” will form on the surface of your lead when in the melting pot, use your ladle to skim it back and then dip into the shiny stuff and pour. That layer of dross will help keep the metal hot and reduce the burn off. Later, when you add new metal, you can flux it and burn off impurities, then skim the surface one time to remove any remaining ash. Be sure to monitor your temperature.

Last edited:
My “melting pot” can hold 160 lbs of lead…. 😀👍 …. I highly recommend some think leather gloves and don’t pour into cold molds - pre-heat them.

Good plan - many of us allow the mould to pre-heat by setting it on the rim of the pot while it heats up. 'course, if you are using an old hair-curler mould and teaspoon that's going to be difficult..... :)

I have used Lee bottom pour pots for 40 years. They are fine, if you READ the instructions you can deal with any leak.
Lots of air movement is required. I would recommend standing to cast, any drips of splashes don't land in your lap. I put my pots in an old cookie baking pan. If for some reason it spills or does leak the pan keeps it from going anywhere.

Not rocket science.

Don

Minimum a spoon to dip lead,and a small pot to melt lead,a heat source to melt lead. You probably already have everything. Don't reuse pot or spoon,keep them as casting only.
You can add bits as you go,a proper lead ladle,a thermometer,a electric pot and on and on or just stay with minimum.
Any recommendations on a pot? I’m wondering if cast iron is good. I can just as easily get the electric all in one but I’m thinking backyard fun over an open fire…more old timey 😜

Latest posts

Back