• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Building a shop

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thecapgunkid

40 Cal.
Reaction score
That's Right...a whole shop...

Part One. You gotta Love Lincoln Logs.

Unless Claude whacks it, this thread is going to be in several parts because the project was too long to write about in one shot. A lot of guys can post their workbenches, but not a lot get to build a shop from the ground up. My daughter bought the new house in Newmanstown, Pa., and we left Connecticut to move in with her. I didn’t want to just build a gunmaking/leatherworking bench. I wanted to build and customize the whole shop. Then I wanted it to be portable so some other lunatic could do it just by reading my post, and I did not want it top be too modern.
It was gonna be a cabin, built indoors until we could scrape up enough money to either build a slab or install pylons in the back yard.

That was the downer part...I'd have to build it and store it in the garage until I could finish it outside. It turned out to be acceptable because the decking lumber was so wet it'd take a season or two to dry it out. Then I could roof it and set it on it's true foundation out in the back yard.

That also meant it had to be capable of dis-assembly and transport. It also also meant I could defer the roof, true-ing it up, adding features and details of windows and door until later. If I don’t get dead I’ll post that part when I do it maybe in the late fall or early spring.

I got the idea by viewing the riflemakers shop in Jacobsburg in 2013. Also, I always had a fancy for Lincoln Logs. I always wanted a log cabin and Pennsylvania is loaded with historical samples. Now, with the move, I had another shot at a shop. It’d have a bench that would platform everything from Flintlocks to shoemaking to reloading for my BP sixguns and Yellow Boy to household projects. It’d have plenty of storage and only two outlets for power tools that could be hidden when stepping out of the century and using hand tools, It’d also hold my shop vac. Every man should have a shop vac. If they’d a had it, they’d a used it. Ouch.
Railroad ties or hewn logs were too bulky and expensive. Pine or Cedar planking was too thin and flimsy. Drive around historical sites enough and you will see plenty of rough planks and hand hewn timber. The answer came when I wandered into Home Depot for a drill and tap and dye for the tang bolt on the Jaeger I was working on; Decking Lumber”¦nice thick planks that were already treated and could be worked with a minimum of tools. I could notch the ends. I could make a cabin. What a concept.
I bought a cheap notebook and started to draw plans. Each page had one level of planking until I had plans for about seven feet of height. I drew in the cutouts for the windows and the structure of the main, built in bench level by level. I concocted a numbering system for each plank when it came time to take it down and move it.
Here’s what I started out with;
Ӣ A spiral bound notebook to make notes and plans; one page, one level of planks with notes
Ӣ About $750.00 of decking lumber in the form of 2x4 and 2x8 in 8,10 and 12 foot lengths.
Ӣ A Bow Saw ( with a back up saber saw and rotary saw for true up)
Ӣ A Maul
Ӣ An inch wide chisel to finish cut notches
”¢ Two templates for notching the end of the logs and for making chocks ( you know”¦those short little Lincoln Logs you used to throw at your brother when he pestered you) which would be interspersed on the main logs to hold them together just like Lincoln Log Cabins. The notches had to be a quarter of the width of the plank and about a quarter to three eighths inch wider than the thickness of the plank so they would all seat well.
”¢ My DVD entitled “Alone In The Wilderness” in which a guy named Dick Proenneke built an 11x14 foot cabin in the middle of Alaska and then lived there for thirty years. Do the search and buy the DVD. IT’s worth it.
Ӣ My Rockwell Jaw Horse and Kreg Joiner
Ӣ A bunch of two to three inch plasterboard screws which would be replaced by wood dowels in the final project to assist in holding the planks together. I wanted dowels because folks did not use plasterboard screws in the eighteenth century

Here’s what I ended up with;

shopext_zpscaks9jws.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Looking in through the door;

shopint1_zpsodlwcmax.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Looking left where I will reload...

shopint4_zpsq5isie6a.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Looking right where most of my shoemaking tools are...

shopint2_zps56nchks7.jpg
[/URL][/img]

In the left corner where my files and such live...

shopint3_zpswv3uqlpj.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Next Post, how to build a cabin without being at all capable.

It's the best bench clamp I have. The rubberized pastic jaws never damage work, the grip is firm and the little under lever releases and opens the jaws without a struggle.

Very nice...neat...exciting...IMPRESSIVE! :bow:

You are surrounded by your interests, all within easy reach. You continue to amaze. :hatsoff:

Richard

Mick...everybody says that!!!

I suspect because I don't have the roof on yet. NO...it ain't a fort. That comes later when I put it outside, get the foundation and gravel around it and pout in a small, bastioned fence. heh, heh, heh

are you planning on putting any siding on it? If not has your treated lumber dried out yet and what are you doing for your gaps? did the lumber move much?

thanks

Fleener

That is nice!
Very well done!

I would have to convert one of my storage sheds to make a shop like yours, and even that would be smaller. It would be hot in summer and cold in winter.
But, you have me thinking. What would I do with all the boxes, Christmas trees and other assorted junk I have in there? :grin:
Ron

Yeah, once I set it up outside in the spring. Weatherstripping between the boards and 2X2 braces on the inside where the chocks are. I'll also true everything up and inset windows and the dutch doors. The roof will be a shallow peak.

Back