• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

browning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used Birchwood for years. First step is super clean your parts. Second heat barrel so water sprayed on it splatters. Then apply the solution to the barrel. Wipe it down completely. While the barrel is still warm spray barrel with W-D 40. Wipe off excess an your done. That's how I do it an I'm very happy with the results. To each their own.

When doing rust blueing, in order to get best results I need to heat up the parts in a low humidity environment first. When they're warm, THEN introduce them to the high humidity session, and card afterwards. That keeps the moisture from condensing on the parts (as stated previously). Repeat as necessary to get the color I want.

Thank you everyone. Lots of good ideas for next rifle.Finally have success. Removed browning and have redone. This time ran shower to get bathroom steamed up. Hung in shower (wife didn't like that), for max two hours. Three coats gave me a nice brown. Was done in less than 8 hours.So that's the trick. I will be building a sweat box. I assume that the changing humidity conditions of the days make the difference.
Try hanging a deer in the shower. They REALLY don’t like that!

My grandfather had a double barrel that was brownd. I thought it was a blue barrel I think. It was a cheap gun at that time Spanish but nice.

I always wondered how it turned brown like that. If he did it or what.

I like the look over blue.

When you get the color you like. And remember only the top five flats show.
With the barrel completely dried over night, wash it well with baking soda/water and let dry.
Then heat it just to the it’s warm to the touch and apply some 30 weight miter oil. Let that stay for 24 hours then use a cotton rag to clean it off.
Worked for me anyway
I started using 2-cycle oil the blue color of oil gives it a pretty cool finished appearance.

Back