• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Laurel Mountain Forge rust browning with humidity box?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a humidity box , 10" wide , by 6 " high , by 60" long , hinged on one long side like a clam shell. . Put a couple damp pcs. of cloth inside , barrel supported on the bottom side on a couple wood blocks. This is the kicker...... Wearing clean cotton gloves to keep skin oiI off the steel , I ascoriate the exterior with a super fine bristle wire wheel mounted on a regular 8" bench grinder , always lightly brushing longways with the flats. This totally eliminates the need to degrease the steel. Steel wool has oil in it , so I quit using it in any browning process. 20+ years ago , I bought a carton (case) of R. E. Davis browning solution , and only use it 'cause I don't want to waste it. I think most browning solutions would work using this option. Also , one application is usually all it takes , over night for a smooth look . For a lightly pitted look , two apps. , and and an extra over nighter does it. Light carding sometimes might be desired for an old , but less scally appearance. Rinse the barrel under a water fawcet once removed from the box to stop the browning process , and dry with a heat gun Once pleased with the look , apply black wax , oil , or whatever rust preventative you wish.

Last edited:
I use a humidity box with a light bulb, wet rags, wires to hold the barrel, and trays to hold small parts in the winter or colder weather. I've never done one in the summer. I used the solution from TOW last 2 times and way back when, Wahkon Bay. In my last job I didn't let it go long so my parts look worn after carding.

Back