• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Opinions on Dangler browning solution

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have zero experience with Dangler browning solution and was wondering what you builders opinion was ... I'm experimenting with Mountain Laurel browning on a Fusil build now , ive always used Plum Brown in the past ... the side plate I hit with Danglers and it looks very nice , promising this morning while the other parts with M.L. on it ...well , they look like $#it ...but it is still early in the game though , I just started browning yesterday . Just curious about Danglers browning ...is it still being made ? Any good ? ......thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20230624_120836.jpg
    IMG_20230624_120836.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Hi,
It is good stuff but keep in mind Rob, cold browning requires multiple cycles of applying brown, letting rust, then carding off the rust and repeating. The initial coats will look spotty and uneven. That will fill in time. I like to post photos of my work when discussing any finishing products but I don't have any photos of barrels I've done with Dangler's. I used the stuff years ago. If I recall, it produced a nice warm brown and if applied sparingly and during multiple cycles without letting the metal rust for more than 5-6 hours between carding, the brown was very fine and smooth. The other thing I recall is it was not too finicky about the metal being perfectly degreased before applying. It seemed to work through spots that were not completely clean. I'll make another recommendation about Dangler's products, which are now made by James Klein. I urge folks to buy an array of Dangler's wood stains. They are alcohol based and they will penetrate finish to some extent. They are invaluable for touching up spots on stocks that were repaired or refinished as well as cleaning up spots on guns during finish when rough spots are revealed by the finish. You can mix the colors to match almost any stain and it will tint the wood through residual finish. They are really useful to have in your tool box of finishing options.

dave

The other thing I recall is it was not too finicky about the metal being perfectly degreased before applying. It seemed to work through spots that were not completely clean.

dave
The product is described on the Log Cabin Shop website as a cleaner-degreaser. Good to know it works as advertised. I think I'm going to order me some.

An effective cleaner-degreaser/browning solution. Gives an authentic brown finish to barrels and other steel parts. Apply coats every 10-12 hours, place in a warm, humid area and lightly card off between coats.

I have used Danglers solution on several barrels and other parts. Works very well for me, produces a nice color and is not as fussy about a perfectly clean surface to begin with. I like it.

Danglers is my choice over Laurel Mt. Find it kind of slow to establish a good coat, but that is good for control. Usually 3 coats and then I wipe with a wet rag to continue the rusting and it comes out with a fine soft finish.

I used Danglers on two barrels and some small parts. It seemed to work much easier than Laurel Mountain for me anyway. I will certainly use it again.

I watched Mike Bellevue use Homer Danglers on his YouTube sight. Was very impressed. Since then I have used it and am extremely impressed!! So very easy to use. You can do just one coat or as many as you like until you achieve the results you want. I used Dangler's browning solution on the barrel and the stain on my stock. Both are first rate. I is all I will probably use from now on. Highly recommend.

I've used Laurel Mtn for years for both bluing and browning. It works fine but don't believe the part about it being a degreaser, at least in my experience. I used Danglers on my last build and it came out beautiful. I just let it set on my bench while the rust was forming. The temperature was in the 80's and so was the humidity during the monsoon season. I think I'll stick with it.

IMG_4153.JPG

I have zero experience with Dangler browning solution and was wondering what you builders opinion was ... I'm experimenting with Mountain Laurel browning on a Fusil build now , ive always used Plum Brown in the past ... the side plate I hit with Danglers and it looks very nice , promising this morning while the other parts with M.L. on it ...well , they look like $#it ...but it is still early in the game though , I just started browning yesterday . Just curious about Danglers browning ...is it still being made ? Any good ? ......thanks
I've used it a number of times and I think it's the best .

I watched Mike Bellevue use Homer Danglers on his YouTube sight. Was very impressed. Since then I have used it and am extremely impressed!! So very easy to use. You can do just one coat or as many as you like until you achieve the results you want. I used Dangler's browning solution on the barrel and the stain on my stock. Both are first rate. I is all I will probably use from now on. Highly recommend.
Thanks bud

I've used Laurel Mtn for years for both bluing and browning. It works fine but don't believe the part about it being a degreaser, at least in my experience. I used Danglers on my last build and it came out beautiful. I just let it set on my bench while the rust was forming. The temperature was in the 80's and so was the humidity during the monsoon season. I think I'll stick with it.

View attachment 231860
Thanks bud

Latest posts

Back