• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brass front sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtmattison

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Do you use them?
How do you like them?

I just installed a brass blade on my GPR I built. It was backordered forever. It is narrower than the original. I'm not too sure if I like it.

Any pro's or con's to brass front blades?

HD

If it shines in real bright sunlight, it will look bigger and make you shoot low. You may have to "paint" it with a black marker if not hunting in the woods.

Many Klatch

I use brass and silver for my front sights, I can't really say there is an advantage or disadvantage to either. If I'm at the range and the sun is creating too much glare I use sight shades.

I like a fairly thick front sight with a small ivory square piece set in the top/back...Shows up nice in most all lighting conditions with no glare and gives me an idea of how much more front sight to hold for those longer shots...The Lizard...

I like a narrow silver one myself and keep it polished on the back edge and tarnished on the sides.For me it works like a fiber optic except on white targets.

It all depends on what your eyes will tolerate. When I was a kid in the 50's, I liked the brass or silver sights.

My eyes have suffered the normal degeneration of age so now I like a big, wide front sight and a peep at the back end.

What are you comfortable with?

I,m getting to the point that I am putting hoods on all my front sights. I have gotten to the age that I can no longer aquire the target, front sight and rear sight.

In a relative sense, sights are cheap. Experiment.

I just ordered a silver blade front and a buck horn (non-adjustable) rear from Track for my .54 GPR flinter I just completed. I have the same set up on my Blue Ridge, which really improved accruacy for me. That fat front sight just doesn't give a good sight picture. I haven't tried a brass blade. Let us know how it goes.

My .45 Kentucky rifle has a brass front sight thats a simple inverted V with a brass V notch rear sight. Much easier for me to see than the black sights on my hawken. :hmm: i may have to look into going to a brass one on it too.

When I feel the need to increase the visibility of the front sight on my guns, I usually apply a small strip of bright florescent orange "price sticker" material which helps promote faster target aquisition. One source of orange sticker material can be carefully salvaged from postal "scan" stickers that are placed on parcels, or from store tags or orange target dot stickers. Extending the sticker on to the sides of the blade and rubbing it on helps to maximize adhesion.
This would thicken the blade and make it more visible than brass. Since it's removable, why not try give it a try?
There's also Brass Black from Birchwood Casey, but I'm not sure that's permanent, works well or would thicken the blade. However black tape might work temporarily.

I love brass. If you use Zep metal cleaner on it it shines like gold. Before I knew that I used to rub the business end with a bit of fine sandpaper before a serious shootin

Tried a brass front sight once but the sun is so bright here that it did look bigger and fuzzier than it really was. Was always hitting it with a black magic marker until I replaced it with a heat darkened steel blade. Made a huge difference. Alot crisper and more defined in the sunlight. Bill

I don't like them but they look cool so, I just black the edge before I go to the range and they work fine. Seems all my Traditions guns have come with them.

Back