• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

front sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LME

54 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I am curious about how a front post sight is designed. I see on my Hawkin it is rounded in the front and made of bright metal, "brass} while the receiver is iron?
What do you fellows think is the reason for the way it is installed? I have my thoughts as I am sure you do as well.

I am curious about how a front post sight is designed. I see on my Hawkin it is rounded in the front and made of bright metal, "brass} while the receiver is iron?
What do you fellows think is the reason for the way it is installed? I have my thoughts as I am sure you do as well.
You have a brass post for a Hawken front sight?

It's not a blade type sight?

I assume you mean rear sight when you say receiver.

Pics?

Last edited:
You have a brass post for a Hawken front sight?

It's not a blade type sight?

I assume you mean rear sight when you say receiver.

Pics?
Yes the receiver is the rear iron buck horn sight with a small "u" groove. the thin blade is brass rounded in the back. I am curious what others think the reason is for the rounded part to face the shooter and why it is rounded in the first place? The reason I am asking is I have seen some install the opposite way?

Rounded or tapered portion always points to the muzzle.

Rounding it gives a clearer and more defined sight picture.

Rounding also prevents a flat from reflecting light.

The U shape always faces away from the shooter.

The U shape/scallop is there so it doesn't look like you're looking through a three sided square tube.

The U shape gives you a one-dimensional crisp plane to look at.

A fun science experiment to help you visualize. Cut a 1/4th inch off the end of a paper towel tube. Look through the 1/8th inch ring and then look through the rest of the tube. Rear sight notch same same.

Last edited:
Sound to me like it's backwards, but I've read posts from other shooters that mount it that way on purpose, for reasons of their own.

Rounded or tapered portion always points to the muzzle.

Rounding it gives a clearer and more defined sight picture.

Rounding also prevents a flat from reflecting light.

The U shape always faces away from the shooter.

The U shape/scallop is there so it doesn't look like you're looking through a three sided square tube.

The U shape gives you a one-dimensional crisp plane to look at.

A fun science experiment to help you visualize. Cut a 1/4th inch off the end of a paper towel tube. Look through the 1/8th inch ring and then look through the rest of the tube. Rear sight notch same same.
The rounded part of the blade points to the muzzle and the ramp toward the shooter? Is this what you mean?

The rounded part of the blade points to the muzzle and the ramp toward the shooter? Is this what you mean?
I don't know what you mean by ramp.

Attachments

• IMG_3695.JPG
    IMG_3695.JPG
    261.2 KB · Views: 0
Gotta love a confusing conversation :doh:

OP, a picture is worth a thousand words.

As we've already determined, you meant to say blade sight, not post. I think.

And everyone knows the ramp part of a sight is the part that goes from the barrel upwards to the apex.

That ramp is typically serrated on a modern sight. But on a ML it was pointed forward towards the muzzle so as not to pick up glare. Although if memory serves me Alvin York applied a little spit to cut down the glare. Whether shooting turkeys with a ML or Nazis with his movie 1893 Springfield. Which does have a blade style front sight.

But Hawkens have a stock front sight like sketched above by 64Springers young child ;)
And IMO that's really not what you are describing either. But it might be. And the stock sights were made of steel in production guns like TC.
But if you have the gun I just sold I had it replaced with a rounded blade because my eyes like it.

Who made your Hawken?
And how about a pic of your sight. Or at least share your thoughts so we might know what you are referring to.

:)

Gotta love a confusing conversation :doh:

OP, a picture is worth a thousand words.

As we've already determined, you meant to say blade sight, not post. I think.

And everyone knows the ramp part of a sight is the part that goes from the barrel upwards to the apex.

That ramp is typically serrated on a modern sight. But on a ML it was pointed forward towards the muzzle so as not to pick up glare. Although if memory serves me Alvin York applied a little spit to cut down the glare. Whether shooting turkeys with a ML or Nazis with his movie 1893 Springfield. Which does have a blade style front sight.

But Hawkens have a stock front sight like sketched above by 64Springers young child ;)
And IMO that's really not what you are describing either. But it might be. And the stock sights were made of steel in production guns like TC.
But if you have the gun I just sold I had it replaced with a rounded blade because my eyes like it.

Who made your Hawken?
And how about a pic of your sight. Or at least share your thoughts so we might know what you are referring to.

:)
I am still learning how to send pictures. The drawing is the same as the sights I am mentioning except his drawing shows a straight up face the one I am talking about is curved almost a quarter of a circle instead of flat. The question I am asking is what other people think the curved face does in aiding a shooter if any?

oops. Adding to the confusion I typed 1893 instead of 1903. :doh::doh:
I have no idea what a curved face (front?) sight does except channeling the light, and therefore the focus, to the top of the sight.

Try this it will help to explain what I am getting at. Have you ever heard of a shooter saying,"I'm drawing a fine bead" and do you know what he means?

“Fine Bead” Means very little front sight visible in the notch, gives lower point of impact.
Very little bead showing is the key to precise accuracy. The reason I posed my question of why the blade is rounded is I think a lot of people haven't given it a thought. I have used that method when I am looking for the best accuracy I can get. What makes it more accurate is light reflecting of the bead. I have shot three shots in an oval one hole at a hundred yards using that method. I bury the sight and get the glint of the bead flickering almost to low to achieve my best accuracy. If you get a chance try it if you haven't already. It is amazing how tight of a group you can get. I honestly believe it is more accurate way of shooting than using a peep sight. there are draw backs that being when no light is reflecting off the sight but at the bench in an open area it is extremely accurate way to shoot.

The partridge cut is to create a strong definition it's more common in target guns. If a partridge is on a pistol, it will be more accurate than a ramp....but the draw from a holster is compromised.

Latest posts

Back