• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blunderbuss

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukewellington

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a flintlock Blunderbuss for and hunting and clay. I no it's not ideal, but it sure will be fun to use. Anyone hunt or shoot with a blunderbuss on here?

Also, how efficient are duplex loads? It's hard to get BP near me.

If by duplex you mean smokeless and Black powder IT IS UNACCEPTABLE AND DANGEROUS both to you and your black powder gun. :nono: :nono:

Duplex loads are usually made up of a small amount of black powder then the majority of the load which is a substitute like pryodex or triple 7...
But you are CORRECT,,,,a duplex load should never consist of black powder and SMOKELESS,,,
Never shoould SMOKELESS POWDER be used in a muzzleloader !!! :nono:
I have owned two Blunderbusses. I had a 14 bore and an 8 bore,,, got nice patterns out to 20 pr so yards. They threw a ball much better than I thought they would also ! Lots of fun...just stay away from the guns made in INDIA.

I meant Black Powder is hard to get, so I would have to ration if I brought it. I was talking a Pyrodex and BP duplex load, with pyrodex in the barrel and BP in the pan.

Has anyone tried mixing BP with Pyrodex? Say 70% Pyrodex and 30% BP. It may work in a flinter as the BP will ingnite the Pyrodex, and there will be no need for making duplex loads.

Just a thought

Duke

Can't say I've tried it. Can say I've read that people do it and it seems to work. 10 grains of real black down bore followed by their choice pyrodex or 777, added to equal their typical load.

Dan

For safety, don't mix powders- ever!( Even if you could mix them evenly, the different shape, size, and weight of the two powders will cause them to separate, giving you widely different chamber pressures, and velocities.)

Keep them separate, and load up to 10 grains of BP down the barrel to sit down next to the vent hole, and then put the Pyrodex down on top if it. That is the proper, SAFE, way to use BP as a "starter load". :thumbsup:

Back