• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blunderbuss Competition

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Further info about the effect of the bell on patterns: from Blunderbusses by D.R. Baxter and from James D. Forman's The Blunderbuss: 1590-1900.
In essence....both authors early on and most definitely debunk the idea that the bell caused the pattern to spread wider/faster than it otherwise would as a function of its bore. Forman's comment may be summarized as "ballistically it had no effect whatever" (p.5)
and Baxter refers to the idea as a "popular misconception" and notes that :"the scattering effect basically depends upon the length of the barrel and the velocity of the shot as it leaves the barrel."(p.7)
Forman cites tests done by the NRA that showed the average spread was one yard at fifty feet.(That is 36" at 17 yards, very close to the two inches per yard that a cylinder bore is expected to throw.)
Baxter's book is available from Stackpole Books (SBN8117-0287-1) and Forman's from Museum Restoration Service (ISBN 0-919316-32-8).
The other misconception is that the BB was loaded with "an assortment of nails, broken glass and pebbles." Not.
My own patterning agrees with the above.
Pete

Today was supposed to be the first day of the blunderbuss competition down at the Ben Avery Range. However, it was far too windy for me to shoot. I am not sure if anyone shot on the primative range today.

I did shoot the blunderbuss over at the shotgun range yesterday. I broke 5 out of 20 on an 8 meter MLAIC Clay Target Course. The biggest problem with the blunderbuss is that you really have to cover the bird with the belled muzzle in order to avoid shooting low. 5 birds out of 20 was not great, but it was a kick to shoot the blunderbuss on the clay target course.

Back