• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black Powder - refresh me please...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would be great if the (semi) local prices were that low, but they are not. I'm the only one I know of in my general area shooting more traditional muzzle loaders. Everybody else is shooting (when they get ready for deer season) inlines and using pellets...I can find pellets and sabots all over the place, but loose powder of any kind, and caps (209 primers are everywhere, too) are hard to find. I don't shoot enough to justify 5# of powder at a time...I realize that the store is paying the haz-mat fee, but they can afford to spread it out over the whole stock, so 1# of T-7 is $19...meanwhile, the fools who use the pellets are paying 2-3x that much per shot.

meanwhile, the fools who use the pellets are paying 2-3x that much per shot.

A non issue to 90% of them. They buy the gun and 20-40 shots worth of components, site in, shoot the deer and put the gun away (likely w/o cleaning). So several have fired 10 rounds and are done till next year. They take the AR to the range as a rule.

azmntman said:

A non issue to 90% of them. They buy the gun and 20-40 shots worth of components, site in, shoot the deer and put the gun away (likely w/o cleaning). So several have fired 10 rounds and are done till next year. They take the AR to the range as a rule.

I'm sure the defenders will be along shortly! :shake:

Jimbo47 said:
azmntman said:

I'm sure the defenders will be along shortly! :shake:

Not likely on this forum.

Mr. Troll said:
That would be great if the (semi) local prices were that low, but they are not. I'm the only one I know of in my general area shooting more traditional muzzle loaders. Everybody else is shooting (when they get ready for deer season) inlines and using pellets...I can find pellets and sabots all over the place, but loose powder of any kind, and caps (209 primers are everywhere, too) are hard to find. I don't shoot enough to justify 5# of powder at a time...I realize that the store is paying the haz-mat fee, but they can afford to spread it out over the whole stock, so 1# of T-7 is $19...meanwhile, the fools who use the pellets are paying 2-3x that much per shot.
I do totally understand. I am a bit different I guess. One type or another, I go through 2 or 5 pounds a month...

I wish I could shoot that much, but I just can't get more than an hour or so a few days a week to go. It's a 20 mile trip to the range, an hour of shooting and back home...that's how it works for me. That limited time is one of the reasons I premeasure my powder charges...saves a
lot of time!

Mr. Troll said:

Sometimes it costs to be different. The most expensive inline doesn't cost nearly as much as a pretty nice traditional rifle. I'm in the same boat, but I bit the bullet and bought 5 pounds of powder and paid the freight. I'll never shoot up that much, but I couldn't justify buying less and paying the same hazmat fee. Got it mixed, 4 FFFX) and 1 (FFFFX). I'm poor, but $28 hazmat isn't going to put me in the Ramen noodle for supper category.

Mr. Troll said:
I wish I could shoot that much, but I just can't get more than an hour or so a few days a week to go. It's a 20 mile trip to the range, an hour of shooting and back home...that's how it works for me. That limited time is one of the reasons I premeasure my powder charges...saves a
lot of time!
I am very fortunate as the rifle club I belong to is well established (since 1889), the turf is paid for and the yearly fee low. It breaks down to 3 bucks a week. I can go as many times as I want, as often as I want, and stay as long as I want. The range is only 10 minutes from the house. There are 7 action bays plus 150+ shooting lanes for rifle and pistol. Only one lane for shotguns. Guess that's why it's called it a rifle club.

I can and do go to the club as often as I can get away, but an hour or so is all I can usually spare during the week. I went today and stayed for 2 hours. My wife was home, so I didn't have to worry about the dogs.

I really enjoy Black MZ. I shoot sometimes 4 times a week and can shoot two dozen times without swabbing. the groups are excellent and the price is right.

torpedo said:
I really enjoy Black MZ. I shoot sometimes 4 times a week and can shoot two dozen times without swabbing. the groups are excellent and the price is right.
Emphasis on the price is right. However, it will not work in a flinter (Or so I am told)

I too shoot a lot of Black MZ, for the price its a great sub, and I'll probably always have some around for my caplock even though I've become somewhat of a real black addict..

Mr. Troll said:
sure, rub it in...might have to make the 250 mile trip to southwest Iowa...

Since you have stated that you only buy a pound or two at a time.

What do you think will cost more?

A. a hazmat fee for 1 pound of powder
B. driving 250 miles to buy 1 pound of powder

On-line retailers carry MZ too!

first off, I would ride my motorcycle, and probably would consider that to be free shipping. I know what you're saying, I've thought about it a lot. If I could only try it out without having to invest a lot of money in one pound. So far, the T-7 works quite well, and I'm pretty satisfied with the results.

Mr. Troll said:
first off, I would ride my motorcycle, and probably would consider that to be free shipping. I know what you're saying, I've thought about it a lot. If I could only try it out without having to invest a lot of money in one pound. So far, the T-7 works quite well, and I'm pretty satisfied with the results.
AH, before Arthur claimed my knees and shoulders, my wife and I both rode and did several "Iron Butt" runs from North Texas to Northern California and Central New Mexico. Those were the days of freedom for us. Back then we would do a 250 mile trip just to go get lunch at our favorite roadside hangouts. I am happy you are still able to enjoy riding - and shooting. We gave riding up after my wife's surgery and the doc said no more unless you want to ride a wheelchair!

Back