• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Beef Bacon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t think it will be on my menus soon. It will be some years before it could ever be cost effective.
Arthur Clark wrote a short story called ”˜Food of the Gods’ , that comes to mind. Also Asimov wrote a story where our future descendent were introduced to garlic. The people in the story were sickened by the idea of eating something grown in the dirt.
My wife thinks wild strawberries are to strong and won’t eat them.

Hairy Clipper said:
Actually I have no idea how dried beef is made and whether $16.00/pound is high or not. I do know it is more than I would pay for a pound of anything I would eat short of live Maine lobster. It cuts into my powder money.

Lobster is over rated. For $16 lb., I'd rather make pepper crusted fillet mignons. Serve with grilled asparagus tips and a nice cabernet. :wink:

I agree that lobster is over rated. I did not like it much even when i got it free. (Dove for Lobsters at the Cape Henlopen light a couple times.)

Dried beef is very much like jerky, a slight difference in the cut of meat and process, but yes very similar.Dried beef is almost never hard and chewy though.

I learned a long time ago, from a ship's cook, to use certain meats for flavorings and garnishes, for instance, shredded dried beef tastes very much like bacon bits when sprinkled over salads included in omlets, etc. Mrs. likes "fried" green beans, sauteed in bacon grease with finely chopped bacon bits. A very close dish, is green beans sauteed in butter with shredded dried beef added. We make a dish in which smoked sausage is chopped and fried in a pan until the edges start to brown and carmalize. Then add a spoon ful of flour to make a roux and diced potatoes and enough water to cover. Simmer until the potatoes are tender and the broth thickened. An almost identical tasting dish can be made with thick sliced bacon or butter and dried beef. I have even had it made with chunks of Lebanon bologna. (which is like a giant smoked sausage made of beef.)

We used to have a couple of Orthodox Jewish members of my Boy Scout Troop. Pretty cool learning experience, and we had beef bacon back then with the eggs. Tasty stuff but the lack of a market has made it pretty rare ..., (HA I MADE A PUN)..., get it, BEEF bacon...rare....??? , :haha:...., and the cost is now rather high.

Those folks who can DIY bacon should be able to DIY beef bacon.

LD

Dad's side of the family sailed to the USA in 1850 and I have a spice box that came over on the trip. It is dad's side that has some of the most unusual, but, tasty eating recipes. Some would find them gross today though.

Boiled chicken feet were big when we were kids and chicken butchering was being done on the farm. Luckily I have my great grandmother's cookbook.

Here is southern Minnesota we have beef coming out of our ears. Lobster is difficult to find unless I drive 65 miles to the Twin Cities. If I were in Maine perhaps wouldn't be such a big treat that it is here. Don't get me wrong, I do indeed like beef.🥩🍔

Back