• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloading shops and ranges in Huntsville, AL?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My wife and I are moving to Huntsville, AL soon and I was curious if there are any shops there that sell muzzleloading supplies? I've always had to order online and it would be kinda nice to buy stuff in person for a change.
Also, does anyone have any black powder friendly ranges or clubs in the area? We're moving from Dallas and that was kind of a challenge to find out here.

I'm in Huntsville. You're pretty much out of luck. There's a nice private range at Hobbs Island, but they don't like black powder. So that's out too.

Skyline shooting range is about 50 minutes away and isn't too bad for a state ran public range.

Holler when you get here if I can help ya out!

There’s a club just North of y’all between Lawrenceburg & Pulaski Tn.

It’s just South of Hwy 64 & approximately 8-10 miles East of Hwy 43..

They have a book of face page… Poplar Hollar Longrifles…

39CD328B-B4D5-4925-86D7-178BFA1C7C7F.jpeg

5F559BEA-58F0-46A2-92B0-9BF5F8F4D1D1.jpeg

There’s a club just North of y’all between Lawrenceburg & Pulaski Tn.

It’s just South of Hwy 64 & approximately 8-10 miles East of Hwy 43..

They have a book of face page… Poplar Hollar Longrifles…

View attachment 289333

View attachment 289332
This is news to me, and GOOD news it is! I'll look into their outfit. Thank you for the info!

My wife and I are moving to Huntsville, AL soon and I was curious if there are any shops there that sell muzzleloading supplies? I've always had to order online and it would be kinda nice to buy stuff in person for a change.
Also, does anyone have any black powder friendly ranges or clubs in the area? We're moving from Dallas and that was kind of a challenge to find out here.
A little more than 2 hrs south of you is Brierfield Iron Works. The NMLRA and Alabama State BP shots are held there. If you’re a member of the NMLRA you will see the site. Good people, great shoot.

Really don't know anywhere to get real BP.

Some of us get together here at my place just north of Florence. Next meet will be June 8th. Not a club, rondy, or comp. Just folks from the area gettin together to hang out and burn some powder at my range.

Many clubs buy powder in bulk ….
Members pool monies and find a mule…

B7F02FAF-94C4-4260-865F-49CB07F31724.jpeg

Saves Haz Mat fees & shipping…
Proves the old theory, there’s more than one way too skin a cat…👍

The last place in N. Al I remember buying bp from dealer was Box Sporting or Shooting Supplies in the late 80’s or early 90’s.

The State Muzzleloading Shoot I would think would sell powder also..👍

The Alabama Territorial Match at Brierfield Iron Works is May 17-19 this year. It is a state park with camping right at the range. Great people and some who live in the area you are moving to. If you need more information, PM me.

Agree about Swan Creek - AVOID. One time when I went there "range cold!" was yelled and several of us went to retrieve targets, and yes, you guessed it, some @hole shot down range. Stern words started and there was almost a "scene" before he left.

Another time I took my nephew there to get some un-mentionable trigger time, and a guy was darting forward of the red line and picking up our brass as it was being shot! Nephew is a big buff kid, and turned, and the guy froze in his tracks and said "oh I'm sorry, did you want to save these?" and nephew just glared, and the dude dropped the brass and vamoosed.

Conversely, the Skyline range is never crowded and I have always had a pleasant time there.

But, since I belong to the B & G at the dam, I rarely, if ever, visit public ranges any more.

"Unsafe Yahoos" is a perfectly descriptive, all-encompassing term!

Huntsville is the big city too most of us from the N Alabama area…
We were taught to be courteous , respect our Elders and be on our best behavior at all times, especially in public.

But those “unsafe yahoos” y’all are referring too ain’t nothing but Damn Thugs or Dope Heads…
The second of which concerns me more than the first.

It’s a shame what has happened too the area, Hell the entire Country for that matter…

Schools, Churches, boat ramps, remote camping areas along with public shooting ranges just too name a few are places that once we’re considered safe..but no longer.

I remember when Coke was still cola, and a joint was a bad place too be…

Are the good times really over for good?

RIP Hag

Everyone else, watch your six.
They’re out there…

https://nypost.com/2024/02/01/news/...-take-a-shower-in-their-home-on-security-app/

A little more than 2 hrs south of you is Brierfield Iron Works. The NMLRA and Alabama State BP shots are held there. If you’re a member of the NMLRA you will see the site. Good people, great shoot.
I've been to Brierfield once for a NSSA competition. It was a 9 hour drive from Dallas, but since we're moving to Huntsville I'm planning on going a lot more.

I didn't know NMLRA had shoots out of Brierfield too, I'll check it out when we get there

In addition to the Poplar Hollar Longrifles, there are also the Davy Crockett Long Hunters in Lawrenceburg, TN. We shoot on the fourth Saturday of every month except November and December. There's a rendezvous at David Crockett State Park in August.

I live in Huntsville. Stay away from Swan Creek. Skyline is a nice range too and usually way less crowded. The Blue and the Gray is a really nice club. Shoot me a PM when you get settled in. I shoot at a friend's little range and would be glad to take anyone who wants to go. I plan on going to Sparkplug's get together in June as well.
VR,
Rob

I live in Huntsville. Stay away from Swan Creek. Skyline is a nice range too and usually way less crowded. The Blue and the Gray is a really nice club. Shoot me a PM when you get settled in. I shoot at a friend's little range and would be glad to take anyone who wants to go. I plan on going to Sparkplug's get together in June as well.
VR,
Rob
I've gotten a lot of mixed opinions about Swan Creek, but it's so close to where I'll be living that it might be hard to beat unless it's really bad. Why do you say avoid it? Is it just full of unsafe idiots?
Shooting in a friend's range sounds really nice compared to the public ranges I've been to.
I'm planning on going to the meetup in June if I can make it, maybe I'll see you there.

Latest posts

Back