• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel Twist Rate

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.45%20Cal%202_zpstzgzzgwa.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Here it is with a 1:12 twist rate.

Actually, it looks like the flint is installed backwards.

The side with one bevel coming to the bottom surface is the side that should be contacting the frizzen.

The side with two bevel surfaces should be inside the cock's jaws.

A piece of thin leather should also be wrapped around the bottom, rear and top of the flint to give something soft for the jaws on the cock to grip. (No, we don't need a leather vs lead debate. If no leather can be found, some use a thin piece of lead to "wrap the flint".) :grin:

(Beware that single beveled edge. It should be as sharp as a razor blade to work at its best).

Yewman60 said:
You nailed it! That's the rifle! a CVA and you have the catalog to prove it. Amazing, and there are a lot of Muzzleloaders with 1:12 and 1:13 twist rate. Most Folks don't even know it.

CVA did sell them and others IIRC but I can't find an add right now. Its a cheap import. These things were common in the mid 1970s and late 1960s. The 1974 price was $85.95. Less than 1/2 the price of the Lyman, a little more than 1/3 the price of the Green River Rifle Works 1/2 stock Leman (from ads in a 1974 MB)and about 1/2 that of a TC "Hawken". By 1978 CVA had brought out their "Mountain Rifle" which was actually pretty darned good from the shooting standpoint and quit selling the really cheap stuff. The 2 piece stock things are not good quality as the price indicates.

Dan

It strikes with lots of sparks, I took apart the rifle cleaned and inspected when I got it. I did not wanted to remove flint until I found out more about it. This is my first flintlock.

Well, it gives excellent spark, I have tried it 30-40 times with small amount of FFFg powder on the pan and it works every time so far.

Hi Guys, Well I went to the gun range, the patch and .440 ball went down okay. Then I tried the Hornady Great Plains Conicals, well I could only get it down about 10 inches. I was not very happy.

I had the barrel bore out to a .54 smoothbore. I went back to the range and I was extremely satisfied. It patterned awesome. Used 80 grains of ffg with 1.5 ounce of #6 shot at 30 yards. Awesome!!! Used a 1.5 ounce mixture of #6 and #5 shot at 50 Yards. Awesome!!!. I also Shot 90 grain of ffg, patch and ball (Hornady.530 inch), I was pleased. (Shot about 25 shots and it fired every time with new flint). This is my first flint lock and I love it. I can't wait till turkey season!!

Back